Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats needed.. stick to paddles?
Major Stare

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Whats needed.. stick to paddles?

2003 R1, in a Westfield with gearstick in tunnel.

What materials would i need to convert to paddle shifting?

Jon "FISH"

skinned knuckles

posted on 8/2/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
a desire to believe you are an F1 driver

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

Steve Hignett

posted on 8/2/10 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
You'll want a Paddle and a Rocker, some Ali Rods and some Rose-Joints...

Or you can stick to the tunnel and just get a taller gearknob?

blakep82

posted on 9/2/10 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
have to say, i still don't see the appeal of paddles, unless they follow the steering wheel round.
but even then, you really need to be able to go lock to lock without moving your hands

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Andy B

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
The reason we use paddles is several fold. Firstly it reinstates some feel to the change, putting the change under the fingertips, the gearbox is probably the weakest link in a bec so positive and accurate shifts are essential. It is also a faster shift for those racing and means hands can be kept on the wheel during shift. In terms of connection to engine we only use cable as what happens at one end of the cable happens at the other with no loss of feel through rose joints, bellcranks and linkages, they also make for an easy install. In general cables make for a softer change and are easily upgraded to incorporate flatshifters. You must use a quality cable though, some of the nylon lined stuff is just cr#p - we use a teflon lined one that seems to work just fine.
regards
Andy

Richard Quinn

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
have to say, i still don't see the appeal of paddles, unless they follow the steering wheel round.
but even then, you really need to be able to go lock to lock without moving your hands
Even with a quick rack, going lock to lock without moving your hands is likely to dislocate at least one shoulder!
Shouldn't be changing gear in the middle of corners where the wheel needs to be turned that much anyway.

blakep82

posted on 9/2/10 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Even with a quick rack, going lock to lock without moving your hands is likely to dislocate at least one shoulder!
Shouldn't be changing gear in the middle of corners where the wheel needs to be turned that much anyway.

ah, yeah, i meant to write about not changing gear on a corner, edited something and forgot to put it back in. i've never been driving a car and thought, i could really do with paddle shift lol.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Richard Quinn

posted on 9/2/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
What you've never had, you never miss! See if you can get a go in a car with a paddle shift and I bet you a packet of crisps and a Curly Wurly that you don't think "boy, I could really do with one of those waggly gear sticks"
Richard Quinn

posted on 9/2/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skinned knuckles
a desire to believe you are an F1 driver
I do believe that I'm an F1 driver, it's just that nobody else believes me!

ETA - Oh, and a second vote, not that it needs it after Andy's post, for cable over push rods. Much better feel and therefore more gearbox sympathetic

[Edited on 9/2/10 by Richard Quinn]

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 10/2/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
You can get control cables to your own spec from ngrant@tuthill.com Tuthill Controls Website <http://www.tuthill.com/us/en/about/organization/lob/Controls/index.cfm> : Diplocks Way, Hailsham, East Sussex, BN27 3JF, United Kingdom.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Major Stare

posted on 10/2/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all,

So...

Paddle/cable is more sympathetic to the gearbox.
Gives quicker changes.

What is the triangle bracket in Steve's reply?
How would i fit the paddles to my steering column?
Rough cost for a cable/paddle system?

[Edited on 10/2/10 by Major Stare]

Jon "FISH"

Brommers

posted on 10/2/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Every installation will be slightly different depending on the steering column/engine fitted/engine position.

I've got a cable-based system on my Striker but no pictures of it. I've got a rod-based system on my Fury racercar - pictures are on my site at www.danstuff.info/furyracer.html but edited highlights are:

Paddles themselves and mounting bracket

Bellcrank between the two actuating rods

The whole linkage

The steering column's a standard Sierra column with all the indicator and lighting stalk mounts removed. It's all home-brewed, so you won't be able to get anything similar off the shelf, but it may provide some inspiration.

franky

posted on 11/2/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
There's a guy on here who does paddle kits for about 1/5th the cost of the big boys

Exactly the same bar it doesn't have the control cable, I found a place that can supply the high quality ones for £35ish.

I had a whole new system up and running for about £100.

bigsteve

posted on 14/2/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
There's a guy on here who does paddle kits for about 1/5th the cost of the big boys

Exactly the same bar it doesn't have the control cable, I found a place that can supply the high quality ones for £35ish.

I had a whole new system up and running for about £100.

where did you get your cable from? 35 quid sounds good to me

franky

posted on 14/2/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a dig around for the reciept, it was a place that makes them. Proves what a mark-up kit car companies are making!
bigsteve

posted on 14/2/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
I'll have a dig around for the reciept, it was a place that makes them. Proves what a mark-up kit car companies are making!

cheers for that

Major Stare

posted on 15/2/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Iam to fit an SPA removable boss to my colum, how would this effect the install of paddles?

Jon "FISH"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.