Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to bleed brakes
JoelP

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
How to bleed brakes

my final task before a test drive, so i thought i'd check that i had the right end of the stick. I've got a mate coming round to pump the pedal tommorow, do you just undo one nipple, press the pedal, tighten the nipple, and release the pedal, over and over again and working from the nearest wheel to the furthest? thats as much as i know unfortunately...

any help appreciated!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

NS Dev

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
that's the way I do it!!

Just watch out for any air getting drawn in around the threads of the bleed screw. It shouldn't if the screw is closed at each pedal release but sometimes your shouts get out of synch!!

locoboy

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
easy bleed kit is the dogs balls, well IMHO

ATB
Locoboy

NS Dev

posted on 28/4/04 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
It is if you are stuck on your own!

With 2 it is probably as quick to do without it but I have one for when I am on my own!

splitrivet

posted on 28/4/04 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Im with you col definately the bit of kit to have.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Doc

posted on 28/4/04 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have always bled from the cylinder furthest away from the master cylinder first and the only Haynes manual I can reach from my chair without putting my beer down says the same.
jonti

posted on 28/4/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've always done it starting furthest away and hold pedal down whilst you tighten the nipple.
Works for me
Easybleed is good though

OFROK

Peteff

posted on 28/4/04 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yep.

Furthest first nearest to M/C last. I put a tube on the nipple into a jar of fluid in case you get out of sync so you draw fluid back in and you can see bubbles coming out.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 29/4/04 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
A lot depends on the type of mastercylinder you have some mastercylinders of ATE and DBA origin can draw air in past the seal on the return stroke, these require bleeding under slight posative pressure from the mastercylinder resevoir to keep the seal fully expanded against the bore.

For an normal Lucas/Girling/Locheed system I usuallly prime the system first by opening a pipe union a couple of turns on the mastercylinder and getting the assistant to push the pedal down and hold it down catching any fluid spray by holding a cloth round the connection then tighening the connecton and releasing the pedal.

It is usual to start bleeding the longest pipe run but this isn't vital as with a new system it is best go round all the nipples at least twice.

The key to getting the air out is slow steady strokes going down with very slow return strokes --- The slow down stroke reduces the pressure in the sysyem making any air bubbles large and less likely to get trapped. The very slow return stroke minimises any negative pressure in the system and reduces the ammount of air and expelled fluid sucked back into the system.

When bleeding the rear brakes handbrake should be off and the manual or self adjuster should be adjusted to give the shoes a normal running clearance.

If you have difficulty getting all the air out of brakes a good trick is to pump the front caliper piston out a bit, then clamp the brake hose, open the bleed nipple and push the piston back.

Remember also the air in the brakes is not the sole cause of a spongey pedal so once you get the air out get an assistant to bang the brake pedal on an off hard while you check that the pedal box and mountings are stiff enough and that the caliper pistons are free and the caliper brackets aren't bent.

[Edited on 29/4/04 by britishtrident]

NS Dev

posted on 29/4/04 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
All very good advice from BritishTrident
JoelP

posted on 29/4/04 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
thanks everyone, i shall do as advised!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.