Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 or GSXR1000
strugrat

posted on 25/5/04 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
R1 or GSXR1000

Newbie here,

Ok have decided on a bike engined car. Probably a velocity from luego. Gonna order on the 19th june at Newark.

Which engine would you guys rate as the best between an R1 or GSXR1000?

Or indeed anything else that would be more suited to a BEC (£1500 second hand at a push)

Any opinions comments would be great!!!

JoelP

posted on 25/5/04 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
i think the R1 is more powerful. certainly it is more popular in BECs, so it is probably easier to use. ISTR that someone said that there is something in the way on the gixer engine, makes it harder to use with a propshaft. You'll get oan R1 for less than 1500 i think, or a zx9r for £500.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/5/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
R1 definitely, having driven an R1 westfield on track at the weekend back to back with a 'busa Fury, I can vouch that the R1 isnt far off in performance terms so its a bargain really.
the Gixer is about the same power but isnt proven in a BEC, and indeed on track has proven itself to be pretty fragile, Stuart Taylor have now resorted to dry sumping their GSXR1000 race cars cos they were going pop virtually every race.

Chris

[Edited on 25/5/04 by ChrisGamlin]

strugrat

posted on 25/5/04 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Looks like the R1 is the way to go then.

Anyone know who can source a good second hand R1 motor?

Also anyone on here got a Luego Velocity BEC? Just to firm up that I have made the right choice of kit.

Bo

posted on 25/5/04 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
R1

I am looking in exactly the same directiuon as you. I haven't bought the kit yet but I have bought the engine (R1)
I was also looking at the GSXR1000 but it seems they have a problem with the durability.
Also the are very much more expensive then the R1, Blade or ZX9R for that matter. I payed £800 for mine complete with wiring and carbs. (in Sweden)

strugrat

posted on 25/5/04 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
COOL!

That seems a good price. I hope I can find one for simlar money. Although I think I may have to go as high as 1200.

What kits are you looking at? Is it me or is there too much choice!!!!!!

strugrat

posted on 25/5/04 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
oops just seen. Luego R1. Hopefully me too!
Bo

posted on 25/5/04 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Engine

Around the £700 - £1000 seems to be the normal price here, for a 2000/2001 engine.
£1200 could land me a 2002 (injected) but they are not as common. The 2000/2001 engine is quite available, since many racers have upgraded to newer models (or GSX-R1000) where they cant use the carb engines anymore, which makes them available to us
Best bet : Look to the motorbike racing scene.

strugrat

posted on 25/5/04 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Injection!!! Ooh I like that idea. Ill have alook around and see what I can find
Hellfire

posted on 25/5/04 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
LINK

Try the link above. Has some good engines for sale now and again.

Strugrat, you have U2U

[Edited on 25-5-04 by Hellfire]

Jasalarms

posted on 25/5/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
R1 is the way to go!

Few mods and the power is up to 160 bhp, not far off a busa, but at a third of the price!

Not sure on GSXR problems, but the reliability of the R1 has been well proven as Hellfire's link to the sidecar racers confirms.

MarkClow

posted on 28/5/04 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I will let you guys know about the gsxr's 1000 reliability soon - apparently my rolling chassis will be ready in 3 weeks. I will then have to finish the interior & paint then put a baffled sump on it. Then I need to get a title and start driving it.

I am deliberating on whether to order a baffled sump from Stuart Taylor or get a local company here in the US to make one - Kreighton motorsports. I called them and they said that they have been using the GSXR1000 in Radicals with their sump and had no oiling problems whatsoever. I am only buying the car for occasional hooligan road use - I am not going to take it too the track as I am already roadracing motorcycles.

BTW I have a 2002 R1 so I like that engine too! Mad fast.

[Edited on 28/5/04 by MarkClow]

MarkClow

posted on 28/5/04 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
If I was choosing a bike engine again I would probably go for a Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer 1000 in the UK) as you can probably get them cheap.

It is basically an R1 engine and is DAMN strong - to me it feels stronger in the midrange than the R1 motor and only has a little less at the top. It also feels smoother than an R1 as it is rubbermounted in the frame, unlike the R1. It also has non-downdraft carbs so it may be easier to fit in a car.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/5/04 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkClow
I will let you guys know about the gsxr's 1000 reliability soon - apparently my rolling chassis will be ready in 3 weeks. I will then have to finish the interior & paint then put a baffled sump on it. Then I need to get a title and start driving it.

I am deliberating on whether to order a baffled sump from Stuart Taylor or get a local company here in the US to make one - Kreighton motorsports. I called them and they said that they have been using the GSXR1000 in Radicals with their sump and had no oiling problems whatsoever. I am only buying the car for occasional hooligan road use - I am not going to take it too the track as I am already roadracing motorcycles.

BTW I have a 2002 R1 so I like that engine too! Mad fast.

I'd speak to Ian Gray at Stuart Taylor and see what he recommends in light of their recent experiences, obviously when running in a Radical the engine runs transversely as it would be in the bike, but in a Locaterfield it runs longitudinally, so the sump has totally different demands on it. Blackbirds are a good example, they seem OK when running transvesely in mid-engine'd cars, but tend to blow on regular intervals if installed longitudinally without a dry sump.

cheers
Chris

MarkClow

posted on 28/5/04 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Good point! I never thought about the lat vs longtitute munting....
richardR1

posted on 4/6/04 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Would definitely recommend the R1 as the engine of choice. I rally in a RWD Mini with one fitted and this is just run with a little extra oil level and an uprated clutch. Engine was stripped down and checked after 18 months severe abuse on tarmac rallies and everything was spot on. The engine was stripped by Dean Ashton, a British Superbike privateer in recent years and he was amazed at the lack of any wear especially on the gearbox.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.