Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sorry peeps, another pasterboard question
02GF74

posted on 18/5/11 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry peeps, another pasterboard question

I will etiher attach plasterboard onto battens or if space allows, onto plywood/chipboard/mdf that would first go onto the battens and plasterbaord on top.

Not sure which would be the best from to use - it is to make a partition around an airing cupboard housing hot water tank and pipework in a bathroom - away from shower; requirement is strong but thin. The extra board to add a bit of strengh, may not be necessary as the parttion is 700 x 2450.

I am not a believe of the "no-nails" adhesive so would use screws into the p-board; but would I need to use penny washers to spread the load? I will be tiling over the p-board so the tiling adhesive would need to be applied so as to cover the screw heads - sound like a good plan?

Or is there a better way?

Skimming - some mentioned from other post n this topic that that would be needed ... but if I apply tling adhesive, then tile, then will that not achieve the same result?

Any other tips appreciated. (and yes, I will cut the board so the ends are over a batten.)

birdii

posted on 18/5/11 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
No need to use washers, just use plasterboard screws.

Have you considered a tile backing board rather than plasterboard? It is very strong and stable in wetter conditions and as the name suggests its for tiling on! I used it in the shower area of my bathroom and was very pleased with the way it went on and the way it tiled.

Depends how wet it might get and how heavy your tiles are really.

If you use plasterboard then battens at 400mm centres will be fine.

Dan

JoelP

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
plasterboard screws have a curved head that helps stop them pulling through. If its dry, just tile straight onto it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

40inches

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
This is the stuff birdii recommends Wickes
You will need the ceramic tipped screws to fix it.

splitrivet

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget white side outside on the plasterboards, when using plasterboard screws tighten so the head is just flush below the surface dont rely entirely on the torque setting on your drill driver what might be just right on one screw might bury another.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

02GF74

posted on 18/5/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
thx - some good avice there ^^^

partition will be next to wash basin so sould not receive more than a could of splashes and wil be under tiles so should not get wet.

BenB

posted on 18/5/11 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Backerboard (aquapanel) as advised has the advantage that it's strong. however it is also more expensive and blooming heavy (so whatever you screw it to needs to be robust). Just build a stud partition box with noggins depending on the p/board thickness used, screw it in place with plasterboard screws (as mentioned no need for washers), slap the tiles on top. Job's a good'un. the most tricky bit will be tiling the edges if you've got an external edge No need for skimming, you can tile straight onto p/board.

The main issue will be that p/board can flex. Tiles can't and most tile adhesives don't flex much. So you'ld want to make sure it's firmely held in place. IE lots of noggins and I'd be tempted to use 12.5mm p/board not 9.5. As much as you're not a believer in no-more-nails personally I'd screw+glue it Kind of like sikaflex + rivetting a chassis!

birdii

posted on 18/5/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I think the plasterboard ideally needs sealing before tiling, just a brush coat of thinned PVA is needed other than that should be fine.
nick205

posted on 18/5/11 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hardi backer board is designed for just this purpose - nail, glue, screw to wooden battens then just slap the tiles on.

bigfoot4616

posted on 18/5/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
no need for backer boards etc behind a sink, they're for wet areas like showers.
most adhesives say they can go straight onto plasterboard but i usually seal it anyway but not with PVA, use a proper acrylic primer
http://www.ultratileadhesives.co.uk/product.jsp?productID=15

as said no need to skim, it also alows you to put on heavier tiles as plasterboard can carry more weight than plaster.

unless your using small tiles i would use a cement based adhesive, i use this one most of the time http://www.ultratileadhesives.co.uk/product.jsp?productID=9

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.