Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anything to add?
phelpsa

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Anything to add?

I'm appealing a PCN that was stuck to my car outside my house in Bath when the car was parked legitimately, however the parking permit had fallen onto the floor in the car (clearly visible from the passenger side window!).

Is there anything I should add to this?

quote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

In response to your letter I would now like to present my informal appeal against the PCN.

I am a resident of *address*. I have held a residents parking permit (no. *******) since the 11th February 2011, for which I paid in the region of £140. This permit entitles me to the use of a parking space in the residents parking bays in *street name*, in which my temporary vehicle was parked. The vehicle had been registered by Bath Parking Services on Monday 23rd May at around 9:30am, which I am sure you will have records of.

The parking permit was not displayed in the corner of the windscreen because it had been placed on the dashboard (the supplied single use stick on holder is in my permanent car), and had slid from the dashboard during the morning. It was in the vehicle at the time and was in fact on the passenger side floor in clear view of the side window from the pavement.

The vehicle was legitimately parked and the Penalty Charge Notice serves no purpose other than to penalise an innocent party. I would like to draw your attention to paragraph 85 of the Secretary of State’s Statutory Guidance to Local Authorities, which states:

85. An authority has a discretionary power to cancel a PCN at any point throughout the CPE process. It can do this even when an undoubted contravention has occurred if the authority deems it to be appropriate in the circumstances of the case. Under general principles of public law, authorities have a duty to act fairly and proportionately and are encouraged to exercise discretion sensibly and reasonably and with due regard to the public interest.

As I am sure you would agree, the purpose of the parking permit system is to ensure that the permit holding residents of the street are able to park near to their residence, and is not there to penalise them. Therefore I believe that issuing a Penalty Charge Notice to a person/vehicle that is clearly entitled to be parked in that location is not in the interest of the public and is not an appropriate action.

I hope that you will consider my appeal sensibly and reasonably.

Yours Faithfully

Adam Phelps

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Should also add that I rang the Parking Services and informed them that I had been given a PCN despite having a permit and it was confirmed that my numberplate was not on the system despite me having called and registered it. The guy on the phone said that was fine and just to email through and explain what happened, at which point they emailed photos of the car 'not displaying a permit' saying that they would not be cancelling the PCN.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Craigman9

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds comprehensive to me and I can't see how they can not agree with you
austin man

posted on 31/5/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
they will be arguing that it was not displayed I feel that your main argument could lie with the registering your car did you / do you have proof phone record etc I would also submit this information. If you failed to display your tax disc in the same manner that too would create a penalty notice.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 31/5/11 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
"Die useless scum! Die NOW!"

Thats what everyone really want to add.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JoelP

posted on 31/5/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well worded adam, fingers crossed it does the trick. You can never be sure with these people though, they forget they are there to serve us.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SteveWallace

posted on 31/5/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
It happened to me and when I appealed I got a letter back saying that they would let me off because "... it is not our policy to prosecute first time offenders." I didn't know whether to by happy that I had saved the money or angry because I was an offender.
steve m

posted on 31/5/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
It cost me £60 when my coupon was on the floor, and not on the windscreen

steve

ReMan

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
"Die useless scum! Die NOW!"

Thats what everyone really want to add.

Not everyone.
Just because you seem to resort to cheap insults, does not mean we all do.

I'd go more for the full terets version myself
Toss'n, wank'n fuckwit'n cnuts type approach
May as well for all the good it will do, but you'll feel better

Good luck BTW

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

omega 24 v6

posted on 31/5/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure I would put in the part of the disc holder being in another car. Not saying you've done anything wrong BUT it may give them reason to think you had 2 cars parked and one was not covered by the permit. The rest of iy sounds fine IMHO

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

ianclark1275

posted on 1/6/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
letter sounds good.

the point is non display.

suspect jealous enforcer saw pass anyway.

this is more likely to happen with a second car as there is no holder provided?

clearly accidental etc...

photos of the situation are useful.

camera phone etc..

i got a ticket in a 200 space car park at the beach.

there was about 3 cars in it and the van i was in was so wide it straddled the white line of the other bay

i had a ticket clearly displayed.

however i got a ticket for not having 2 tickets!

i took a photo of the whole car park empty with the van in it and they accepted.

thanks

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/6/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Is there anything stating that the permit has to be displayed in a particular place or just visible?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.