Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Noise Limits at track days - am i going to have a problem ?
Tris

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Noise Limits at track days - am i going to have a problem ?

Hi all,

Ive booked my spire into a couple of track days next month, one at Castle Coombe (which limit for a car, even with a bike engine, is 100db @ 4,500 rpm), and the Silverstone National Circuit (105db drive by is all thats stated).

I have just been out and using my ebay noise measurer, it measured 94db @ 1/2m @ 4,500 rpm, and 99.7 db at 8,000 rpm.

A 'drive by' was about 93db.

I know that its hard to say, but does anyone think i am going to have a problem at either of these circuits ?

Cheers
Tris

eddie99

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nahh you'll be fine, just say its max RPM is 10000 not 13000
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matt_gsxr

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
93 dB is a lot less then 105dB (the scale is logarithmic).

If you are worried then pick up and trial fit an exhaust baffle in advance. They are only a few quid and will remove a worry.
Worth trial fitting it first (i.e. drill a mounting hole in your exhaust so it bolts up).

locoR1

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
After hearing your car at PPC in the park at Mallory i would be surprised if you have to many problems with noise, it sounded very quite

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

Tris

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, the day when the rear wing snapped in half

Cool - there's a few different types of baffles on ebay - is there a good one to go for ?

locoR1

posted on 29/6/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Ah, the day when the rear wing snapped in half

Didnt know that

Was also the day my mates MK blew its head gasket in spectacular style

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

JonnyS

posted on 29/6/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tris
Hi all,

Ive booked my spire into a couple of track days next month, one at Castle Coombe (which limit for a car, even with a bike engine, is 100db @ 4,500 rpm), and the Silverstone National Circuit (105db drive by is all thats stated).

I have just been out and using my ebay noise measurer, it measured 94db @ 1/2m @ 4,500 rpm, and 99.7 db at 8,000 rpm.

A 'drive by' was about 93db.

I know that its hard to say, but does anyone think i am going to have a problem at either of these circuits ?

Cheers
Tris

Based on that you'll fail Castle Combe. They are utter ba$5ards. They will measure you at 3/4rpm, so approx 9k ish? Whatever your noise meter says, they'll be 3db higher as well Believe me, I've been a few times, and gone home once without running.

Dusty

posted on 29/6/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Castle Coombe are fighting for survival against a couple of villagers who rent there. Any excuse and they are off to court. I suspect the tracks days are numbered unless the courts have some sort of common sense forced upon them. That's why they are so paranoid about noise limits.
MK9R

posted on 29/6/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah combe are real b@stards, I failed there on the static test, bought an over priced muffler from merlin, fitted it and they reckon I was 3db higher!! I drove it round the paddock a few times, went back and was more careful how I applied the peddle and passed 8db lower than before!!!! Makesure you get it hot, makesure you lie about the rpm limit (and be warned the bloke I had knew bike engines and spotted what I had), rev it upp very slowly so you don't go over or blip it as it makes a louder spike and also take something to try and muffle the end. Once you are on circuit you shouldn't have a problem

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gaz_gaz

posted on 29/6/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
i was 97db at Brands Hatch with an Akrapovic exhaust, and 97db at Castle Combe.

Maybe see when your local track are next having a track day and pop over and have them do a noise test using there equipment?

macc man

posted on 29/6/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Take some wire wool to stuff up the pipe. We find loads of it on the track after a blast round the circuit.

gaz_gaz

posted on 29/6/11 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
i done an evening session at Brands and a girl there in an mr2 turbo couldnt pass noise even with her bung in,
so she disappeared for 10 minutes and came back with a pack of Brilo pads, she stuffed them in the exhaust then fitted the bung and passed noise test with ease,
removed them and didnt have any issues with the drive by.

rather ingenious i though!

norfolkluego

posted on 29/6/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't necessarily trust yourself/meter to get it right, before we started sprinting I was worried we'd fail the noise test so I bought a meter and tested it. We passed scrutineering OK at 93dB, two days after I'd tested it at 117dB

Don't bother any more

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.