Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie thinking of building a Vortx MX5
cjwood23

posted on 22/9/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie thinking of building a Vortx MX5

Hi guys!
Been lurking for a while and thought I should introduce myself.

My name's Chris and I've recently had to give up SCUBA diving on health grounds - luckily nothing that affects driving!
So I've flogged all my kit and need a new hobby
Had a TVR until recently but have sold that to help with an impending house move.
So fingers crossed by the end of October we should be all moved and settled, only downside is our new place will only have a single garage (currently have a double garage - but two bedrooms and two kids means we need a bigger house!!).

Have been thinking about building a kit for ages, and hoping mow is the time.

Looked at loads of kit options over the last few months and had narrowed it down to the following:

MNR Vortx MX5
Westfield SDV MX5
GBS Zero
MEV Exocet
Tiger Avon

Discounted most on the following grounds:

Westfield - Even though they're are local to me the price (and contents) of the starter kit put me off - don't seem to get much or your money.

MEV - looks different but think I really want a 7!

GBS - fairly local, but the contents of the kit seems somewhat lacking and adding all the other bits seemed to make it about the same as some of the others (steering rack, dampers, fuel tank and powder coating etc.). Not too sure about the rear end of the chassis either - looks a bit flimsy.

Tiger - again, kit seems lacking for the costs.

Which brings me to the MNR - didn't realise they did an MX5 based kit until I read the article in CKC. Thought the majority were BE's. Have sent a few emails back and forward to MNR and Marc and Chris have been really helpful. The basic starter kit seems very comprehensive (rack, dampers, tank, bolts etc.).

Obviously need to get a donor to strip - also considered one of the donor packs listed on MX5 heaven - anyone used these?

Am hoping to use a 1.8 either MKI or II - are there any issues with the MKII 1.8 diff fitting the chassis (read first350's build blog) and wondered of this had been sorted?

Also thinking about a bit more power later on - which turbo kits fit?

Anyway, hoping to be sorted with either a donor or some bits early in the new year so be prepared to answer some really stupid questions!

Thanks

Chris

rdodger

posted on 22/9/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to MNR last week about an MX5 Vortx

They tell me that the diff problems were caused by the customer using a 1.8 diff on a 1.6 chassis. 1.6 diff is smaller.

I had a good look at it and the chassis looks amazing. I do love that round tube!

I would talk to them about what you are planning and they seem happy to mod things to fit.

They are building a turbo car at the moment.

Thinking about it

posted on 22/9/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.roadrunnerracing.net/the-roadrunner-sr2.html

Another option.

Where are you if close to Westfield?

cjwood23

posted on 22/9/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies chaps.
Currently in Birmingham, moving to Cannock.

Had also looked at the SR2 but works out about £1k more than the Vortx for the starter kit.

[Edited on 22/9/11 by cjwood23]

Chris

first350

posted on 22/9/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
-The diff wasn't "much" of an issue...just had to add spacers and solid mount it due to tight clearances.
-The 1.8L tranny from the '99 (5 spd) poked out a bit more than the 1.6L, so I had to re-route one of the small chassis tubes in the transmission tunnel (not that big of a deal)
-The engine fits in the engine bay, but it's super tight...I went with a custom intake manifold to gain clearance on the right side.

as far as Turbos...IMO the Mazdaspeed turbo/manifold set-up could be ideal, assuming you're not going for lots of boost (it's a smaller turbo). I opted for a customer turbo manifold b/c I had already installed my engine and wasn't sure if the mazdaspeed would fit.

IMO get the upgrade Al. radiator and an intercooler...it can be pricey, but IMO it's worth it. Miata engine's tend to overheat with extra power; I did the coolant re-route and Aluminum Rad/IC on mine and am really glad - no cooling issues thus far!

IMO MNR has been a great company to work with - compared to all of the stories I hear about other kits, they're top notch. There's only been a few times where I've had to email them twice about an issue to get a response, and I know they probably get loads of emails.

Agriv8

posted on 23/9/11 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
the mazda demonstrator is due for refresh over winter with turbo ver.

a trip to see Chris and Marc is always recomended book your self in and I am sure marc will take you out in the demonstrator.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

bowood14

posted on 23/9/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
U2u sent
BigLee

posted on 23/9/11 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by first350

IMO get the upgrade Al. radiator and an intercooler...it can be pricey, but IMO it's worth it. Miata engine's tend to overheat with extra power; I did the coolant re-route and Aluminum Rad/IC on mine and am really glad - no cooling issues thus far!

As someone who didn't upgrade the cooling system, who did fry an engine, this is VERY good advise! Great car to drive. And cheap (ish) to fix if you do toast it!

cjwood23

posted on 23/9/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.
will see about popping up tot he factory in the new year.
Good advice about the cooling too - will the Ali Polo Rads that seem to crop up on ebay do the job??

BigLee - what turbo system did you put on your car?

Chris

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 23/9/11 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Chris you have a u2u from me now too
cjwood23

posted on 24/9/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

Are those of you with the MX5 based kits running the standard dash clocks?
The layout of the demonstrator looks a bit clumsy.
Already looking at the digital dash route (possibly acewell - seems good value).

Cheers

Chris

loggyboy

posted on 24/9/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Any reason for no auditioning a Raw Striker?
cjwood23

posted on 24/9/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Not really, hadn't considered it to be honest.

What are the kit costs like?

Chris

BigLee

posted on 24/9/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cjwood23
Cheers guys.

Already looking at the digital dash route (possibly acewell - seems good value).

Cheers

The beauty of the standard clocks is it's one less thing to spend money on. All the correct symbols and warnings are there for IVA, and it is plug and play. Speedo is already accurate etc. If it ain't broke....etc. I wil post a pick of mine. I had dial faces the same cream colour as the car, then flush mounted behind the scuttle. No nasty shroud! At first glance they look like separate dials neatly arranged, but instead of £500, they were about £30 plus several hours graft.
BTW - Turbo is a TD04 on a greddy manifold, with a Bipes ACU controlling timing. When the cooling issues are sorted, should be running at 10 psi max.

Cheers

Lee

cjwood23

posted on 25/9/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLee

The beauty of the standard clocks is it's one less thing to spend money on. All the correct symbols and warnings are there for IVA, and it is plug and play. Speedo is already accurate etc. If it ain't broke....etc. I wil post a pick of mine. I had dial faces the same cream colour as the car, then flush mounted behind the scuttle. No nasty shroud! At first glance they look like separate dials neatly arranged, but instead of £500, they were about £30 plus several hours graft.
BTW - Turbo is a TD04 on a greddy manifold, with a Bipes ACU controlling timing. When the cooling issues are sorted, should be running at 10 psi max.

Cheers

Lee

Cool - would be good to see your dash layout.

Thanks again.

Chris

loggyboy

posted on 25/9/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Compareable to MNR, maybe slightly dearer, but not by much. Well worth a look.

cjwood23

posted on 26/9/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Compareable to MNR, maybe slightly dearer, but not by much. Well worth a look.

Cheers, will give them a look.

Chris

first350

posted on 27/9/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
quote:
Cheers guys.

Cheers

Cheers

Lee

+1...I did something similar for mine as well - made the inspection an easy pass; in the future, I may goto a digi dash, but for now, I'd rather spend the $$ on more tires/fuel/events!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.