Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Repeaters on bike mirrors
RichB

posted on 27/6/12 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Repeaters on bike mirrors

Hi all

I was just thinking about side repeaters the other day, as you do, and was wondering if the wing mirrors you get on motorbikes with indicators built in would get ok for IVA.

I'm guessing they would have suitable E mark, be positioned high enough and at the right angle would give enough rear visibility.

Has anybody used these or tried and dismissed them as unsuitable?

Cheers

Rich

loggyboy

posted on 27/6/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I would expect it would be hard to get 50% of the 'apparent surface' of the lens visable from 5 degrees to rear without having a big bulbus lens on the side of the mirror.

Mistral Motorsport

deezee

posted on 27/6/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Reckon you'd struggle to pass. They pretty much crouch behind the rear arch and ask you to pop your indicators on. So, as mentioned, the indicator would need to protrude quite a bit to be visible as that angle.

I fitted mine onto the scuttle and passed.

RichB

posted on 27/6/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough.

I saw a merc on the way home and watched as he came off a roundabout. Once it was past about 45 deg all I could see was basically a single LED on the very edge of the wing mirror. Damned manufacturers, they get away with everything!

Cheers
Rich

ElmrPhD

posted on 16/12/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm confused. Was recently told by my kit maker that indicators were REQUIRED to be in the exterior mirrors in order to pass 2012 IVA.
Can anyone confirm or deny with any certainty?
Thanks!!!
Steve, in the NLs

loggyboy

posted on 16/12/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElmrPhD
I'm confused. Was recently told by my kit maker that indicators were REQUIRED to be in the exterior mirrors in order to pass 2012 IVA.
Can anyone confirm or deny with any certainty?
Thanks!!!
Steve, in the NLs

There are no revisions in the current Iva manual (8.02) that would indicate a change, or indicate any requirement to have side repeaters on mirrors.

[Edited on 16-12-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Jimfin

posted on 17/12/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Not seen any change to the manual that would say that - but it's how I made them to get through the IVA earlier this year.

Used a couple of button repeaters glued into basic CBS mirrors which I had painted -

Mirror with button indicator
Mirror with button indicator

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=Button+12v+Amber+LED+Side+Indicator+light%2FRepeater%2FGOOD&_sacat=0&_from= R40

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Universal_Mirrors_White_M04WH

Worked well for me

As far as I am aware, the ONLY light lens which needs a marking (strangely enough) is the fog light!

loggyboy

posted on 17/12/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jimfin
As far as I am aware, the ONLY light lens which needs a marking (strangely enough) is the fog light!

Correct, The wording for lights is:
All lamps must emit light of an equivalent brightness and colour when compared to an e approved lamp of the same type

But: Fogs require E marks - and B or F marks, and of course headlights require beam checks.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.