Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flat shifter fitting?
gixermark

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Flat shifter fitting?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a flat shifter.. Pro or expert. It's for a race only car, so I guess pro is ok?

Are these things a pretty basic Joe bloggs can fit on your own?

I think the blip on down shift is driven by vacuum? So surely must involve something other than wiring up and just installing the tension/ lever?

I was thinking of doing it as a winter project, but would really like to just get one fitted for the rest of the season....

Engine is a k5 gsxr1000 all std including throttle bodies/ecu etc

Chet

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
The Flatshifter is a great product and Graham is extremely helpful if you do have any questions.

The downshift blipper does use vacumn but is very easy to install and setup.

It was very easy to install the full Flatshifter expert system and Max solenoid shifter on the USA J15 ( Hayabusa ) demo car.
It made a great car even better!

Chet

[Edited on 23/7/12 by Chet]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=416.0

Bobinspain has just had a thread running about fitting his.

gixermark

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Should have also said... I have a cable gear change system, so not sure if that makes things more difficult?
Chet

posted on 22/7/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fyi-

Adding the Flatshifter expert system to an existing cable shifter is not difficult.

I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the parts, ease of install and the performance of the kit. The clutchless up and downshifting make a good car not just better but more fun. The downshift blipper is a great idea!

I should mention that I was impressed enough with the Flatshifter to become an agent for them here in the USA.

Chet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gixermark

posted on 23/7/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
good stuff - cheers Chet.

yes - its the downshift that interests me the most.. upshift will be a bonus

bobinspain

posted on 24/7/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gixermark
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a flat shifter.. Pro or expert. It's for a race only car, so I guess pro is ok?

Are these things a pretty basic Joe bloggs can fit on your own?

I think the blip on down shift is driven by vacuum? So surely must involve something other than wiring up and just installing the tension/ lever?

I was thinking of doing it as a winter project, but would really like to just get one fitted for the rest of the season....

Engine is a k5 gsxr1000 all std including throttle bodies/ecu etc

Take a gander at 'flatshifter installation photos please' here on Locost. As usual I got lots of help.
Take a look at the MK owners facebook page too. There's recent poster used a £99 unit to get clutchless upshifts, (very successfully too. He's posted a vid'. Looks silky smooth.
Ebay have the Pro for £699 and the Expert for £799. The Club model, (clutchless upshifts only) is £399.

gixermark

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
thanks Bob.

what engine is that ?

I've been chatting to the ever helpful Mr Bates, if i buy one will get it off him.

It looks like space will be limited to put the tension rod at eth engine end, and the potential of having to drill/tap/ream the throttle body does make me a bit weary.. i just need to double check on the tension rod placement.

Mark

bobinspain

posted on 25/7/12 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Mark,

It's a K4 Busa. The owner says the 'box' is a Power Commander Flatshifter which he plugs into his PClll. Paid £95 for it----Bargain!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/216873108313/

[Edited on 25/7/12 by bobinspain]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.