Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: d.o.h.c. engines
andybuff

posted on 5/3/02 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
d.o.h.c. engines

does anybody think that the dohc engine is a good option as its more modern than the pinto and has anybody fitted this lump?
will it fit under the bonnet line with the injection? i have driven the sierra with it and it seems quite sweet.

Dunc

posted on 5/3/02 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Andy,

I've using a 2.0 DOHC for my car, I'll be stripping it at the weekend and building it into my chassis. I measured it up to see how well it would fit but the inlet manifold sticks up quite a bit at the rear. I took some rough measurements at the weekend for height, width etc it situ but it was quite awkward. I'm going to fully measure it at the weekend once it's out of the car and do a proper drawing of it, sump, block head etc for more accuracy, I email it to you once I've finished it.

Dunc.

James

posted on 5/3/02 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
What actually is the DOHC like? I'd heard some rude comments about it so I'd decided to go with a Pinto.
Thing is, I'll probably be getting a DOHC car anyway just for the diff and discs etc. and was thinking I'd need a second donor to get the Pinto. If the DOHC is any good it'd save me getting a second donor!

James

Dunc

posted on 5/3/02 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
The DOHC is quite neat looking, I'll take some photos of mine as soon as I figure out how to post pics on here. It's still only a 8v engine though. Mine didn't come with rear discs though or alloys, thought it would've, you live and learn.

Dunc.

technics

posted on 18/5/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
d.o.h.c

the dohc engine is alot of weight for its power output, i have worked on a 6 of these engines most requiring head gasket due to failure. The engine has very large valves, porting of head can be taken quite far , they are not easy to work on for novice mechanics the chain tensioner often needs replacing which can be a bastard at times. these engines are good for torque but not the best for quick response hope this helps a little....steve
Vindi_andy

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Ford DOHC also known as a Twinky.

Not done anything to it just plonked it straight in. yes it is quite tall at the back and only just fits under my MK4 vindicator bonnet.

Head gaskets are a known issue but usually fail due to overheating. One recommendation coming from Ford sierra owners forum is to replace the Twink fan switch with a Mondeo turbo diesel fan switch as this has the same connection but comes on at a lower temp.

I am running mine with a coolman rad and mondeo fanswitch and had no problems even in rush hour traffic.

If i decide to keep this engine( see my engine transplant thread) the sump will need shortening and i think the head gasket will need doing as it appears to be leaking oil from there. Whilst Ive got the head off there are several things that can be done to increase the output ( I have a DOHC tuning guide done by a guy from FSOC forum who has also built a 2.3 l Twink u2u me your email addy if you want me to send it or search on google for "crustworld"

cd.thomson

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
OT: but Dunc - you just wasted literally minutes of my life watching a star wars gif..

Craig

britishtrident

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
The timing chain issues appears to occur at around he 80,000 mile mark.

Gudgeon pin failure is a known issue --- time spent at high rpm related.

Vindi_andy

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
guess id better think about doing my timing chain as my engie is over the 100,000

According to the Guys on FSOC its not actually the chains that fail its the crappy chain guides that disintegrate then jam the chains causing their failure

PaulBuz

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
They are good engine if they are looked after.If not you will have problems.
I've said this so many times it hurts, but here goes:
The DOHC engine with the mt75 g/box is LIGHTER than a pinto with a type 9.
With torque that a pinto can only dream of!!!

ATB
Paul

James

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Way to bring a 2002 post back from the dead!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jpindy3

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
the only thing that would bother me is the waght,and the fact you got to get two cams if you want to tune it,with im sure you will,there isnt a grate diffrace in power a bit more out of the dohc
PaulBuz

posted on 20/5/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Only just noticed that!

ATB
Paul

cd.thomson

posted on 20/5/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

Craig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.