Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA Issues!
leon51274

posted on 20/6/13 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
DVLA Issues!

Morning chaps

Well my roadster has got to the point where its about ready for its IVA. My first job was to write to the DVLA requesting a chassis number, I utilised the template letter from the Haynes Forum and just changed a few minor details with regards to components used from the donor.

I have now received a letter back from the DVLA complete with forms V627/1 (Built up inspection report) and V55/5 (Application for a first tax disc and registration of a used motor vehicle). The covering letter also stated that i had to supply the following information:

V5C for the donor vehicle
Invoices for all major parts
MOT (May have to wait till vin number is stamped in)
Insurance
ID
£55 registration fee and road tax

Now my understanding was that, yes i need to supply the majority of the information above BUT after they have issued me with my chassis number and at the time of applying for my IVA.

Would anyone one be so kind as to shed a little light on this for me prior to opening any further discussions with DVLA?

Many thanks
Leon

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/6/13 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well that's mostly wrong.

How can you mot it? Can't
How can you insure it ? Can't
How can you tax it? Can't
You need the v5c at IVA for engine age proof.

Useless they are!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

leon51274

posted on 20/6/13 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
My thoughts exactly!

I haven't used the engine out of the donor, I've used a silvertop of which i have a letter from ford confirming the engine age.

I'm feeling like this may be a bit of an uphill struggle at the moment.

theduck

posted on 20/6/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I got similar in my reply but also got a VIN
Bluemoon

posted on 20/6/13 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leon51274
My thoughts exactly!

I haven't used the engine out of the donor, I've used a silvertop of which i have a letter from ford confirming the engine age.

I'm feeling like this may be a bit of an uphill struggle at the moment.

Hang on in there looks like you got a numpty that does not do kitcars...

leon51274

posted on 20/6/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the contributions so far chaps.

What are peoples thoughts on how to tackle them from here on then? Should i call them and explain that in order for me to supply the relevant information, that they need to supply me with a chassis number first and then apply for IVA along with with supplying a completed built up inspection form?

sprouts-car

posted on 20/6/13 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'd resend your letter and hope you get someone more useful.

Build blog

Bluemoon

posted on 20/6/13 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cheers for the contributions so far chaps.

What are peoples thoughts on how to tackle them from here on then? Should i call them and explain that in order for me to supply the relevant information, that they need to supply me with a chassis number first and then apply for IVA along with with supplying a completed built up inspection form?

Not sure. It used to be each DVLA office had someone to deal with kitcar registration, if you can find the name of that person you might be with a chance...

Dan

40inches

posted on 20/6/13 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
You will need insurance, or you can't get a Tax Disc. Apart from that you need ID, a credit card and the forms.
You insure the car on the chassis/VIN number, which you can make up yourself, 17 digits, I used a combination of manufacturer, engine, build finish date and random digits. It's a myth that DVLA have to issue one, and to my mind the less they get involved the better. You only need the V5c if you want an age related plate.

Description
Description

[Edited on 20-6-13 by 40inches]

Bluemoon

posted on 20/6/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
You will need insurance, or you can't get a Tax Disc. Apart from that you need ID, a credit card and the forms.
You insure the car on the chassis/VIN number, which you can make up yourself, 17 digits, I used a combination of manufacturer, engine, build finish date and random digits. It's a myth that DVLA have to issue one, and to my mind the less they get involved the better. You only need the V5c if you want an age related plate.

Description
Description

Not sure it's a myth but I did make mine up as well (but there are a set of rules about number of characters and what letters/numbers you can use).. Kitcar manufacture might also supply you one..

leon51274

posted on 20/6/13 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Would i need all these prior to IVA or is this something I need to do after IVA? My aim is to get an age related plate.

quote:

Description
Description

40inches

posted on 20/6/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Would i need all these prior to IVA or is this something I need to do after IVA? My aim is to get an age related plate.

quote:

Description
Description

The first thing they check at IVA is the VIN and engine numbers, both of which you enter in the application form.
You can insure the car before IVA, then if you feel like it, you can drive it there legally.
Somewhere on the DVLA website is a VIN number fact, the only criteria is that it must be unique,must be 17 digits and not use 1 or I, best not to use O, only zero.
Keep DVLA involvement to a minimum, it will slow down the process.

leon51274

posted on 20/6/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm now thinking of a slight change of plan and sacking off the Leeds office.

All being well I will be going to the Beverley test station for IVA. It would also appear that there is also a DVLA office at Beverley. I've just spoke with a chap that i know who got his roadster through IVA last year and he used the same offices at Beverley and had no problems at all. So my thinking at the moment is that maybe DVLA at Beverley have more experience with kit cars as they may be seeing a few more kit car registrations. Here's hoping anyway!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.