Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine placement MK Indy ZZR1400
Niels

posted on 4/3/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Engine placement MK Indy ZZR1400

Hi,

I'll first give a short introduction to myself as I couldn't really find a specific topic for this on the forum. I'm Niels, 24 years old living in Belgium. As from last october I've started building an MK indy together with my dad! Not a new one due to legal limitations but we've bought a second hand mk indy which we stripped down completely. As we are going to put another engine (zzr1400) in the car we would like to get some advise from the pros around here.

Is there any theoretical information about the placement of the engine? If I understand it correct, most preferably the output from the engine should be aligned with the input of the diff. Though, when I look around on the forum and photos from other bec's, neither of them seems to apply to this from what I can see from the photos. Maybe there is someone on the forum who has already placed this engine in his/her mk indy and can supply me with some more info.

Many thanks in advance!
Niels

skippad

posted on 4/3/14 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
hello Neils
Welcome to the forum
If you look in my photo archive "zzr engine" there is pics of of my ZZR1400 install.
Any questions feel free to ask
Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 4/3/14 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

daniel mason

posted on 4/3/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
all mk's ive seen have the engine in line with the top chassis rail,meaning they are not even close to sqare.

ReMan

posted on 4/3/14 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
all mk's ive seen have the engine in line with the top chassis rail,meaning they are not even close to sqare.

But most have a centre bearing, though why that should make a difference I don't know.
All I know is that as that was my original (MK) set up I had no problems; I fit a reverse box with 2 props and half the angles and I get vibration! But that's my bad, not a Hijack!

I assume as per the 4th diagram above, the point is "excessive", unequal angles, minimal unequal angels should not cause a problem

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

twybrow

posted on 4/3/14 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I was told by Dunning and Fairbank (propshaft supplier) that the maximum misalignment between prop, engine and diff, is no more than 7 degrees. When I bought my cat part built, it had the engine paralell to the top chassis rail, which meant far too much misalignment... So I rebuilt the engine cradle and exhaust to allow the engine to sit closer to square.
snapper

posted on 4/3/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
So on a BEC instal the diff to reverse box can be set within tolerance the engine placed to provide correct angles for engine to front of reverse box
I know Bailey Morris have experience with props for BEC instals and a lot of people have more acute angles than the recomended 7 degrees for the engine output

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Niels

posted on 5/3/14 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
hello Neils
Welcome to the forum
If you look in my photo archive "zzr engine" there is pics of of my ZZR1400 install.
Dave

Did you just fit the engine trial and error trying to get an appropriate alignment? Is there any chance that you still have some measurements from back then?

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
[img]http://s750.photobucket.com/user/snapperpaul/media/69889BBA-5D98-4428-810B-A4B2AA9B38F7.jpg.html[/img]

So a dead straight alignment isn't the best solution? Is this for the sake of lubrication and wearing?

Is this misalignment of maximum 7 degrees applicable for both the horizontal and vertical plain?
Does weight distribution play a major role as well, probably it does but the amount of freedom is maybe limited? Therewith we're building a LHD so the steering rack needs to fit as well.

Niels

twybrow

posted on 5/3/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Niels
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
hello Neils
Welcome to the forum
Dave

Did you just fit the engine trial and error trying to get an appropriate alignment? Is there any chance that you still have some measurements from back then?

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
[img]http://s750.photobucket.com/user/snapperpaul/media/69889BBA-5D98-4428-810B-A4B2AA9B38F7.jpg.html[/img]

So a dead straight alignment isn't the best solution? Is this for the sake of lubrication and wearing?

Is this misalignment of maximum 7 degrees applicable for both the horizontal and vertical plain?
Does weight distribution play a major role as well, probably it does but the amount of freedom is maybe limited? Therewith we're building a LHD so the steering rack needs to fit as well.

The 7 degrees applies to both planes (horizontal and vertical). They actually said aim for 2-3 degrees if you can (avoiding being perfectly straight).

@snapper - just because you see a lot like that, does not mean it is correct! I wanted to do everything I could to avoid propshaft issues, as is is so safety critical.

[Edited on 5/3/14 by twybrow]

jacko

posted on 5/3/14 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=08042007067.jpg
This photo is off a zx9r fitted in a mk indy chassis if this helps

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Niels

posted on 5/3/14 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the pics and explanations.

Bike engines are mounted without any rubbers am I correct?

peter bland

posted on 5/3/14 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
When mounting it's always safer using rubbers , but more pleasure without. Oooooops different subject.
Bike engines solid mount.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.