Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New bicycle
nick205

posted on 19/5/14 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
New bicycle

Treated myself to a new bicycle over the weekend. Will be used for commuting two days a week (32 mile round trip) and an unsupported London do Paris ride next month with full panniers. I've been training for a few weeks on my MTB fitted with road tyres, good training, but slow going on the road.

Looked at many alloy and even carbon framed bikes, but having ridden a few miles on this I'm very happy with my choice of quality steel frame. The paint job is stunning up close and the whole thing just feels right as a package.

My steel framed MTB has done me close to 20 years and several thousand miles (only the frame and seat post are original). This should last me the same again I reckon.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/multi-sport/croix-de-fer

dhutch

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
A road bike with diskbrakes eh...
Jenko

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Very, very nice....I really like the more unusual makes....I have a charge.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

pekwah1

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
you should have bought one which has peddles, i've heard they're much easier
nick205

posted on 19/5/14 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
Very, very nice....I really like the more unusual makes....I have a charge.

That was part of it for me too, not a make you see every day. The Charge bikes look excellent too. I really like the look of the Shand bikes as well, but a little out of my price range.

sdh2903

posted on 19/5/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Picked up the same bike a few weeks ago it's brilliant. I ditched the standard crappy tyres for some schwalbe marathons which are perfect for touring and commuting as they are very difficult to puncture. My last set on my hybrid did 2000 miles with not a single puncture.

The steel frame is brilliant just soaks up the vibration and it eats the miles. Well happy with mine.

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/5/14 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good.

Nice to see it has disk brakes, my MB has these but my road race bike is just calipers, huge difference between the two. Already ran into the back of a car once being outbraked

I also fitted the biggest front cogs I could get as there's not many hills around where I take mine. Nothing better than roaring past some slow assed MB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 19/5/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Picked up the same bike a few weeks ago it's brilliant. I ditched the standard crappy tyres for some schwalbe marathons which are perfect for touring and commuting as they are very difficult to puncture. My last set on my hybrid did 2000 miles with not a single puncture.

The steel frame is brilliant just soaks up the vibration and it eats the miles. Well happy with mine.

Noted on the tyres. Not done enough miles on the stock tyres yet to really suss them out, but the bike shop did suggest some better tyres for distance commuting and touring work.

Simon

posted on 19/5/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice

Not much of a roadie bike person meself but have just bought my first (Giant Defy- cheapest in shop and my mtbs have all been giant) 30 odd years. Using it for my first triathlon next Sunday

Cheers

Simon

[Edited on 19/5/14 by Simon]

sdh2903

posted on 19/5/14 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
That's just it, it's not really a road bike it's a cyclocrosser. Although I'm not sure if I'd take it too far off road. With the relaxed geo and steel frame it's more a jack of all trades. I use mine for commuting and a once a year tour loaded up with a tent and panniers. This year it's maiden tour is Newcastle to Edinburgh on the coasts and castles route.

My road bike mates scoffed at it at first but now are seriously impressed with its versatility. My brakes work better in the wet too in fact one of them went out and bought the slightly cheaper cdf and is equally impressed by it.

nick205

posted on 19/5/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
That's it for me too. My commute includes a couple of gravel sections that a full road bike would struggle with.I also wanted the ability to load it right up for toduring as well. The more upright and relaxed positon should be better on really long rides as well.

Just been out for a few miles tonight and it really is comfortable.

iank

posted on 19/5/14 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
A road bike with diskbrakes eh...

They are starting to be announced on the new models.
e.g.
http://road.cc/content/news/85202-bianchi-2014-range-launch-oltre-goes-disc-plus-new-sempre-infinito-intenso-and

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

nick205

posted on 21/5/14 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Noted on the tyres. Not done enough miles on the stock tyres yet to really suss them out, but the bike shop did suggest some better tyres for distance commuting and touring work.

First decent ride this morning, 16 mile commute into work in 1h 6m. Bloody lovely ride in the early morning mist, then into brilliant sunshine.

sdh2903...you're right about the tyres! They are definitely a bit on the lazy side. Off to the bike shop at lunch time to pick up something a little quicker

sdh2903

posted on 21/5/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
As I said I can't recommend the schwalbe marathon plus highly enough. They are a little heavy but then again so am I. They roll pretty good but still have some tread for towpaths etc.

I nipped to the bike shop yesterday and came out another hundred quid lighter. Mudguards, bar tape, bottle holders and a new saddle pouch for my bits and bobs. The joys of a new toy, I did manage to resist the guy trying to get me to order a hydraulic brake setup and a carbon fork for it though, carbon?! On a steel bike ? Are you mad?

[Edited on 21/5/14 by sdh2903]

nick205

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have a slight rash of accessorising myself

I added a couple of bottle holders in the retro style. The fancy curved carbon jobbies just didn't sit right with the rest of the bike.

A carbon fork would indeed look awful on such a nice thin steel frame and the cable discs are more than ample for me so far.

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/5/14 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
As I said I can't recommend the schwalbe marathon plus highly enough. They are a little heavy but then again so am I.
[Edited on 21/5/14 by sdh2903]

My god, a little heavy!!!

They are made of depleted uranium and have virtually no pneumatic properties. The instructions even say you can't check the pressures by squeezing them because the carcase is so rigid.

Very good at avoiding punctures (>2000miles on the rear of my commute since last one) but truly unpleasant to ride
Conti gatorskin are a better compromise.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick205

posted on 11/6/14 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Covered a good few miles now training for my Paris trip next week.

Shaved my 16 mile work journey down from 1:14 to 1:03 so far and looking to get inside the hour by the end of this week.

I'd seriously forgotten how much I enjoy cycling and what it's like to have a good level of fitness. Knocking the beers on the head has probably played a part too

Just signed up for an 80km "legs of steel" event in September, which seems to be all about hills

Simon

posted on 11/6/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Would've clicked the "Like" button if there was one

I reckon you'll get down to about 55 mins in no time. Keep it up.

I'm just off to the forest on the mtb

ATB

Simon

nick205

posted on 12/6/14 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Down to 1:00:07 in to work this morning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.