Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Registering a vehicle as new
gkfury

posted on 13/8/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Registering a vehicle as new

Hi - first post! I'm planning to start a build of a Fury later this year. I've been out for a spin in Rob Collingridge's R1, and it was a fantastic experience. I think 'visceral' would be the word I use to describe it. Rob was really generous with his time and very helpful too.

I'm hoping to get a new year plate, using new (major?) components. I've done some searching around but can't find definitive answers to my questions below:

1) Does every single component have to be brand new, or just the 'major' components? The DVLA guide is not explicit:

"Kit cars which have been built using no more than one reconditioned component will also be registered under a current registration number as long as you provide satisfactory evidence that the component has been reconditioned to an ‘as new’ standard."

2) Does every component of the entire car have to come form the same supplier? Surely not, but the guideline document from the DVLA talks as if it would be a complete kit from a single supplier:

"If all the parts of a vehicle are supplied new by the manufacturer, the vehicle will be allocated a current registration number as long as you provide satisfactory receipts and a Certificate of Newness."

> Link <

^ This looks like a summary guide - is there a more definitive document anywhere?

Thanks!

ReMan

posted on 13/8/14 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
This is the explicit bit
"Kit cars which have been built using no more than one reconditioned component will also be registered under a current registration number as long as you provide satisfactory evidence that the component has been reconditioned to an ‘as new’ standard."

That component is usually the engine gearbox assembley for Bike engined cars, the rest (technically) should be brand new with receipts regardless of supplier

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 13/8/14 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
1. Though it says using all new parts, in reality it's just the major components.
2. No parts camecome from various suppliers.

There's a form you have to complete listing the manufacturer, etc for each of the major parts (chassis, body, engine, transmission, axles, steering, suspention and brakes from memory) and you have to provide invoices for those.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 13/8/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Technically all things need to be new , but if you can provide receipts for - Engine, Gearbox, Steering, suspension, transmission, driveshafts. The more receipts you can provide for the rest of the items in the car the more likely is you will get a new reg.

Of course 1 of the above can be reconditioned to an 'as new' standard.

For Becs, using a 'reconditioned to as new ' bike engine/gearbox combo may count as 2 components, meaning you will need to use (or at least provide evidence) that one of the two is 'new' .

[Edited on 13-8-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

pewe

posted on 13/8/14 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm correct in saying that if you achieve "new" build registration your car will need to comply with all current IVA and MOT standards.
The flip side is that you settle for either a) Q plate and that way they can only check for visual emissions when it reaches MOT or
b) age related plate i.e. major components from a single donor and then the emissions test relates to the engine's age.

OK road tax may be slightly higher in both cases but it beats having to fiddle about every MOT trying to achieve a pass.

I'm sure some-one will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse on that.
Cheers, Pewe10

Ta, Loggyboy vv knew it was something like that

[Edited on 13/8/14 by pewe]

loggyboy

posted on 13/8/14 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
I think I'm correct in saying that if you achieve "new" build registration your car will need to comply with all current IVA and MOT standards.
The flip side is that you settle for either a) Q plate and that way they can only check for visual emissions when it reaches MOT or
b) age related plate i.e. major components from a single donor and then the emissions test relates to the engine's age.

OK road tax may be slightly higher in both cases but it beats having to fiddle about every MOT trying to achieve a pass.

I'm sure some-one will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse on that.
Cheers, Pewe10

IVA emissions is based on engine age no matter what.
MoT emissions for a Q is visible smoke, for age (or new plate) its based on either v5 or age of engine.

Road tax for kits is always based on engine size.

Mistral Motorsport

big_wasa

posted on 13/8/14 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
There is a Sylva for sale locally that's the same, its on a viva reg. I wouldn't want to take the risk of not being insured.
Lightning

posted on 13/8/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
When I did mine. I handed a folder full of receipts in. Short staffing meant that no one went out to the car.

Keep all receipts and if you loose some you could use your computer to redo some, nudge nudge say no more, no what I mean squire

[Edited on 13/8/14 by Lightning]

Steve

prawnabie

posted on 13/8/14 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Now that the local doffice are now closed, how do you get an inspection?
loggyboy

posted on 13/8/14 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt you do anymore. I believe someone queried it before about why if VOSA have just spend half a day inspecting it and recorded all details officially, why DVLA needed to. I believe the centralising of DVLA should have taken care of this.

The process make takes longer for us to wait for them, but should hopefully be less of a pain.

Mistral Motorsport

gkfury

posted on 14/8/14 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the detailed responses - seems much clearer now. Oh, and I'm not planning on building a BEC - I think I'll be going the tried-and-tested Zetec route. The R1 was seriously exciting, but it was a bit too much for me in retrospect!

As I understand it:

1) In theory, every single component should be brand new. However, you only have to list the major components on the V55/4. They must all be brand new, although one can be reconditioned as new. Chances are slim they'd check any other components, but it is still very strongly recommended to keep all receipts for everything purchased, just in case.

2) Parts can come from different suppliers. On the V55/4, you will need to list the supplier for each major component.

The DVLA guide I link to in my original post lists the following as the major components:

* Suspension (front and back)
* Axles (both)
* Transmission
* Steering assembly
* Engine

adithorp

posted on 14/8/14 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thats about it.

You list the components on frm V267 (declaration of newness) and supply that with all the other stuff that goes with V55/4

When I registered my car, I had to have an inspection by DVLA. This was just to check the car was as declared on the doc's. At that I had a big (deliberatly untidy) file of receipts that I offered to show and she declined to look. DVLA no longer inspect the car to check (although I think they could if they though something was wrong) partly because they have excepted the VOSA IVA check as sufficient and mostly, because they've closed the local offices and got rid of most of the staff.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

gkfury

posted on 14/8/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify, it looks to me like that should be V627 (Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report) rather than V267 (Declaration that a vehicle is new).

The V267 seems to be for importing new vehicles.
It's the V627 that lists the major component parts.

bumpy

posted on 2/5/15 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
So if your car has a brand new chassis, do the fibreglass body panels also have to be new?
prawnabie

posted on 2/5/15 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
When I did mine. I handed a folder full of receipts in. Short staffing meant that no one went out to the car.

Keep all receipts and if you loose some you could use your computer to redo some, nudge nudge say no more, no what I mean squire

[Edited on 13/8/14 by Lightning]

and have an incorrectly registered car that would technically need re-iva'ing

[Edited on 2/5/15 by prawnabie]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.