Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Engine - run in time - IVA
bud44

posted on 22/3/22 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
New Engine - run in time - IVA

Hi,

I am unsure on this but I think I know the answer.
I have a brand new engine that will require running in, obviously it is critical I adhere to the run in procedure etc.
Therefore, I suppose I will have to run in the engine before the test in order not to wreck it. Thinking for noise and emissions with the excessive revs etc
Where would one suggest I do such a thing for it will take some 1000 miles.
Any suggestions ?

Duncan Grier

posted on 22/3/22 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Do you know which test scenario's the engine is put through during the test in terms of rpm/load etc?

Have no real experience myself with IVA but maybe worth contacting them in advance also to get their postion on it, must be a common thing?

Wpuld expect them to be fairly sympathetic to the new engine which would be obvious also

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/3/22 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Is this a brand new engine, or a reconditioned x flow or similar?

But engines are regularly "run in" on dyno's in 20-30 minutes, have a google.
The old idea of gentle driving for 1000miles seems to be a bit of a red herring.

This is one guide
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/11/13/engine-break-guide-10-tips-help-properly-break-engine/

[Edited on 23/3/22 by cliftyhanger]

[Edited on 23/3/22 by cliftyhanger]

ianhurley20

posted on 23/3/22 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
At my IVA the engine was not exposed to any extreme revs etc. The emisions test did a short time at 3000 rpm, mainly to get the engine up to tempeature. The rolling road speedo accuracy test only required a single acceleration on the rollers from a stanstill up to 70 mph and was done in a relaxed and gentle manner, no full throttle etc. The sound test on mine required that the engine was held at 4000 rpm for a short period while the sound was measured, red line on my engine was 6500 rpm. I don't see any of these tests causing a new engine any problems.

[Edited on 23/3/22 by ianhurley20]

CosKev3

posted on 23/3/22 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
As above the running in for 1000miles is a load of rubbish!

It's proven by many that hard running in on a RR works better than you dawdling around on the road for 1000miles.

On the RR the operator can keep to the required run in process with no interruptions, you drive your car off your drive and before you get to the roads where you can mess about doing the run in process you will probably have stopped at a few junctions with the engine at idle,get stuck behind a few cars at junctions and its idling for even longer!

SteveWalker

posted on 23/3/22 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
As well as that, modern engines are produced to such fine tolerances that they do not require running in (who runs in a brand new car these days).

A reconditioned engine may require some running in, but nothing in the IVA test is putting it under any stress.

coyoteboy

posted on 23/3/22 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's an interesting one. I wouldn't bother too much with running in, I just would be careful not to thrash the hell out of it for the first few hundred miles, and to change the oil/filter fairly frequently.

Plenty of evidence for RR run in (assuming the tuning is OK, you wouldn't want bore wash while you're running in).

Modern engines *are* much tighter tolerance than they used to be and don't require run in from the factory, but rebuilders don't seem to be able to match the factory tols - I took my factory manual to an engine builder (Toyota 3SGTE) and they point blank refused to meet the factory tols and said they were ludicrous.

Deckman001

posted on 23/3/22 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Emissions are checked at the IVA as well so the engine needs to be running very very well so a pass could happen at the first attempt.

As said above, the engine isn't stressed during the test, especially if you put a slightly lower rev limit on the forms submitted. Noise limits are based at a percentage of the rev limit and speedo checking goes upto the 70 mph limit.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 25/3/22 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
My (well respected) engine builder has always advised me to use running-in oil for a short period after a rebuild, and then change to correct spec oil (and new filter) after no more than a couple of hundred miles, then change ol and filter again after another few hundred miles. All he advised was not to thrash the engine hard, but do use all the rev range through increased and decreased speed changes, and not to sit at a fixed speed/revs for any consistent period of time until I'd reached 3-400 miles. Never had any issues!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.