Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broken rear view mirror MOT fail?
Slimy38

posted on 17/5/22 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Broken rear view mirror MOT fail?

This is a question about my wife's Mazda 2 rather than a kit car, but hopefully someone might know. Yesterday we had the windscreen replaced and autoglass cracked the rear view mirror. It's still usable as a mirror but there is a visible crack in it. It still has both wing mirrors intact.

The problem is that we have an MOT booked next week. Will it fail?

I should mention that they are going to replace it, but these things always come at the same time.

ken555

posted on 17/5/22 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
You need 2 rear view mirrors, one must be drivers side.

So assuming there is one at the passengers side you will be good.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 17/5/22 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Possibly still a minor fail if it is broken, as wording inspect all mirrors, but very much down to interpretation.

You must check that all mandatory rear-view mirrors or indirect vision devices provide an adequate view to the rear from the driver’s seat.

You do not need to adjust mirrors or devices for this check.

Indirect vision cameras may replace mirrors on some vehicles. If such devices are fitted, you must inspect the camera(s) and the screen.

Rear view mirrors and indirect vision devices can be any of the following positions:

a. an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the offside of the vehicle
b. an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the nearside of the vehicle
c. an interior mirror or device which provides a view to the rear of the vehicle

Defect Category
(a) Obligatory mirror or device missing - Major

(b) Obligatory mirror or device:
(i) slightly damaged or loose - Minor
(ii) inoperative, excessively damaged or insecure - Major

(c) Obligatory mirror or device not providing an adequate view to the rear - Major

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 17/5/22 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Possibly still a minor fail if it is broken, as wording inspect all mirrors, but very much down to interpretation.

You must check that all mandatory rear-view mirrors or indirect vision devices provide an adequate view to the rear from the driver’s seat.

You do not need to adjust mirrors or devices for this check.

Indirect vision cameras may replace mirrors on some vehicles. If such devices are fitted, you must inspect the camera(s) and the screen.

Rear view mirrors and indirect vision devices can be any of the following positions:

a. an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the offside of the vehicle
b. an exterior mirror or device that provides a view along the nearside of the vehicle
c. an interior mirror or device which provides a view to the rear of the vehicle

Defect Category
(a) Obligatory mirror or device missing - Major

(b) Obligatory mirror or device:
(i) slightly damaged or loose - Minor
(ii) inoperative, excessively damaged or insecure - Major

(c) Obligatory mirror or device not providing an adequate view to the rear - Major

Ah perfect, that's what I was after. I thought it would be an interpretation thing. The crack distorts the image but I would regard it as still being 'adequate'. I'll highlight it to the tester and explain that it's getting replaced as well, hopefully that will limit it to a minor at worst.

loggyboy

posted on 17/5/22 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Ah perfect, that's what I was after. I thought it would be an interpretation thing. The crack distorts the image but I would regard it as still being 'adequate'. I'll highlight it to the tester and explain that it's getting replaced as well, hopefully that will limit it to a minor at worst.

I'd be inclined to remove it, they cant fail whats not there and door mirrors will cover for the basic requirement of 2 mirrors.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 17/5/22 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

I'd be inclined to remove it, they cant fail whats not there and door mirrors will cover for the basic requirement of 2 mirrors.

That'd be my approach too.
The 2 wing mirrors cover the basic requirements.
If the internal rear view mirror's not there it can't be inspected or failed (+ it's being replaced anyway).

ken555

posted on 17/5/22 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I would query the mandatory part, as 2 mirrors are mandatory, the third is optional.

I have three mirrors on my pickup, the centre mirror is pointless as nothing can be seen in it, due to the cab on the back.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tilly819

posted on 17/5/22 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
My old van failed on having a cracked near side mirror not that long ago. Being a van it only had the side mirrors though. I thought it would be a minor but it was a major in there opinion. No big deal in my case as it needed some welding doing as well so it had to go back for a retest either way.

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

perksy

posted on 17/5/22 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Friend took his Mazda 3 for an MOT and that had an ok interior rear view mirror and an ok passenger door mirror, but it failed on a cracked drivers door mirror

Maybe he was just unlucky, The daft thing was he checked with the dealer first and they said they would put an advisory on it and then their tester failed it

craig1410

posted on 17/5/22 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think the offside mirror is mandatory since it's the one that gives you a view behind when pulling out into traffic. Yes I know you should always do an over the shoulder check too.
So if you have a good offside exterior mirror and either a good interior or nearside exterior mirror then all should be well. I don't believe an exterior nearside and interior rear facing mirror combo is sufficient.

chillis

posted on 18/5/22 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I believe you will find mandatory is driver side (normally offside - not sure how it works for wrong hand drive cars) and interior or driver side and passenger side
If the fault is with the driver side then depending how the rearward vision is impaired it could be a minor or major. Can you not get a mirror glass before the MOT?

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

craig1410

posted on 18/5/22 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
He said it's the interior mirror that is cracked and both exterior side mirrors are good so should be no issues.
Slimy38

posted on 19/5/22 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
He said it's the interior mirror that is cracked and both exterior side mirrors are good so should be no issues.

Aye, it's the interior one that's cracked. As I was getting some tyres sorted today I asked them about it. They wouldn't even highlight it as an advisory because the side mirrors are good.

Now I've got to get back to Autoglass to find out when they're replacing the mirror...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.