Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bicycle light batteries...
Simon

posted on 13/10/22 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bicycle light batteries...

I have some cheap chinese bike lights. The lights are fine but batteries are rubbish.

I think they're made of 18650s.

I want to make new ones using decent branded batteries. Is it simply a case of taking them apart and putting in new cells - ideally I'd like to increase capacity?

nick205

posted on 13/10/22 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
A quick Google on 18650 batteries...

What is so special about 18650 battery?
The 18650 battery has a voltage of 3.6v and has between 2600mAh and 3500mAh (mili-amp-hours). (Osborne, 2019) These batteries are used in flashlights, laptops, electronics and even some electric cars because of their reliability, long run-times, and ability to be recharged hundreds of times over.
8 Feb 2021

It also states they're larger in diameter than AA baterries.

In terms of upgrading your bike light batteries, you're going to need battery cells that physically fit in there, connect properly, charge correctly with the charger you've got (unless you get another charger).

2,600 - 3,500mAh capacity is more than many rechargable AA batteries.
3.6v per cell is also more than an AA battery too.

Personally (fromone cyclist to another) I'd be inclined to dispose of the lights you've got and buy some better ones. Might be a £££ outlay, but you'll get lights that perform better all round. They'll also have 1-2 years warranty on them as well.

coyoteboy

posted on 13/10/22 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on your pack make-up. A few things to think about:

1) If you're fitting them into a spring-type contact pack, all you need to do is buy an 18650 with the correct length....
2) I say that because 18650's (which you'd think would come in 18mm diam, 65mm length) come in a couple of different lengths depending in whether they have safety protection in the cell, in which case they're a little longer. Funny standard.

Other than that, there's different chemistries - some are 3.7v, and some are 3.6v. But most are 3.7v.

Buy a battery with the right nominal voltage and the right length, and it'll drop right in.

If it's a tabbed cell design, you'll need to figure out a way of welding, or converting the pack to a spring-assembly type. Not very hard but one to check.

Watch out for absolute lies about capacity, fakes and all sorts. A decent 18650 cell will set you back about 7 or 8 quid at least. Anything less, and theyre either low capacity and admit it, or they're low capacity and lie about it.

I rarely buy new lights. Or new laptop batteries, I usually just replace cells because the function is fine and warranties are worth nothing on cheap lights.

I have some MTB lights bought from the old aliexpress which are still doing fine and outperforming Hope lights that are 10x the price.

www.18650.uk is my usual source, and I have checked capacities with a discharge/charger to confirm quality.

[Edited on 13/10/22 by coyoteboy]

Simon

posted on 13/10/22 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Peeps,

I have an Exposure 6 Pack, for the bar, and Diablo for the hat (along with a Hope thing). The cheap chinese lights are quite good for adding to the sides so I'd like to make some decent batteries.

Work situation has changed and now earning around a third of what I was so new decent lights completely out of the window for time being. It may just be cheaper to buy more chinese lights ....

I'll look into options suggested

nick205

posted on 14/10/22 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
coyoteboy - is far more knowledgeable than me on this and seems to have some real world experience with this type of thing.

Simon - if income has dropped that's deffo a case (I'd be the same) for looking to maximise what you have and not spend out on more.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/10/22 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
coyoteboy - is far more knowledgeable than me on this and seems to have some real world experience with this type of thing.

I'm rarely useful on here, I saw my chance to contribute!

SJ

posted on 14/10/22 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I use Samsung 18650s bought from Frogstar in my bike lights.

I have a couple of cheap chinese USB power bank cases that take the 18650s like this: Link

A couple of 3000mah samsungs powers these things Link for hours and charge up in the case overnight

BenB

posted on 15/10/22 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm also quite a fan of Samsung cells. I tend to go for Samsung 35E cells but only from a reputable seller. 18650s are a magnet for scams- cells with crazy high capacity, fake cells, cells with tiny 2nd hand batteries inside a fake outer wrapping and the rest of the cell talcum powder etc etc. I think the worst fake 18650 I ever had came free with a torch. It was super light, silly capacity (something like 8900mAh) and recharged in about 3 seconds. I think the actual capacity was less than 100mAh. Which isn't s problem until you charge it at 1A. Super slow charge for 8900mAh cell but 10C (fire time) for a fake cell. The other issue with fake cells is when they say they're protected they're often not.
nick205

posted on 17/10/22 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Can't comment/advise on brands for 18650 cells.

The best rechargeable AA batteries I've found so far are genuine Panasonic Eneloop. They power devices for ages, hold charge for ages even when not used. They're more expensive than many other rechargeable AA batteries though.

Using them also prompted me to source a better quality battery charger that charges, senses when the batteries are fully charged and stops charging them. The charger was also more expensive than many others, but treats rechargeable batteries better!

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/10/22 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I use Samsung 18650s bought from Frogstar in my bike lights.

I have a couple of cheap chinese USB power bank cases that take the 18650s like this: Link

A couple of 3000mah samsungs powers these things Link for hours and charge up in the case overnight

I am being dumb. But does that mean you can use the samsung cells to make a USB power bank?

coyoteboy

posted on 17/10/22 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not dumb, yes you can.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/10/22 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I cycle at night with the roadbike and trike and the one thing I did do was buy some decent lights. I have moon nebula light bar things on the front and back and they are bright, last a long time even in the cold of winter (longer than I can) and are USB chargeable. Their around £45 for a pair or can be bought separately for about £20 each (I have 2 front lights on the trike steerable on the front axles ).
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.