Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 4WD Indy
alan wheeldon

posted on 4/12/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
4WD Indy

does anyone know what chassis mods are needed to fit the front 4WD system off a Sierra 4x4

Im not worried about which engine to use yet im just concentrating on the front 4x4 set up??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Howlor

posted on 4/12/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
You will need a diff mount for the front and a wider tunnel area I would have thought for mounting the transfer box. other than that everything else should be fairly straight forward. May be worth trying to find someone with a Dax 4x4 Quadra to see how they did it.
froggy

posted on 4/12/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
im building one using a pretty much standard mk chassis but mine is a v8 with modded mt box. the tunnel too narrow as said plus you will need xr4x4 front uprights and most likely have to make rocker arm top bones as the driveshafts are in the way of the shock mounts. the front sierra diff will fit in quite easy, someone else on here is doing something similar with a honda v6 motor.dax offfered it with cossie or v8 and its only really worthwhile if your at the 250+ bhp level imo
Bouldy

posted on 4/12/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Froggy what steering rack are you using? im putting a v8 in a mk . i have shortened rack so problem with the column it hits the front of the block .
froggy

posted on 4/12/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
havent decided yet but as mine is 4wd and im using a lsd front diff im going to need power steering but as most racks are too wide to line up with the inner wishbone pivots im still looking but mk3 golf looks promising. my engine is 14" further back than in most 7 type chassis because im using a 7" diff up front and the motor sits at a mad angle to get the front prop to line up with the front diff. im looking at mounting my rack just underneath the top wishbone with the steering arms behind the wheel instead of in front giving true ackerman steering (il have to find out what that means one day) which will make mounting the column and uj much simpler ..sounds like you may need to shorten the column and make the link longer,actually ive not seen an mk with a v8 in have you got any pics yet?
Bouldy

posted on 4/12/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
god , and i thought mine was complicated!!!

Havent got any pics yet will have soon will take some when its finished all going to plan at the moment not to many headaches apart from the steering

alan wheeldon

posted on 4/12/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Its actually the 2.9 V6 motor im thinking of using out of the granada cosworth but my main worry like i said is getting the whole lot to fit in.

Like you said, i also thought the transmission tunnel would need altering and the front shocks would also probably get in the way so perhaps i would need to relocate them elsewhere at a different angle etc??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
one option is to fab a stirrup to go over the front driveshaft to attach the front shock but if your using normal bodywork then rocker arm is the way to go or pushrod if your good at maths i think the guy doing the honda v6 4wd is called liam and his setup wont be much different in size to yours his pics will give you a better idea
froggy

posted on 5/12/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
another bit of info dax specify xr4x4 front uprights not cosworth sierra as its something to do with scrub geometry but xr4x4 uprights use a different bottom ball joint ,ive used mk1 fiesta bottom ball joints which fit to the standard mk lower arms, the ball joint sits in the big hole on the wishbone and then two holes need drilling to bolt the ball joint to the arm. i dont think its the bellhousing that makes the tunnel too small,more the extra girth along the drivers side to make room for the transfer box and front prop
quadra

posted on 7/12/05 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Tunnel on drivers side is tight but with a little thought and ali bending you can find the room.

Can't remeber how to post a picture so here is the link.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/DaxQuadra/DSCN0780.jpg

[Edited on 7/12/05 by quadra]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.