Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin engines and sva
zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Twin engines and sva

Whats the score with twin engines and sva?

Any problems or special rules?

What about noise??

[Edited on 6-12-05 by zzrpowerd-locost]

jos

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah twice as much hassle

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

jos

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, that wasnt any help to you was it. Are you planning on having an exhaust on each side of the vehicle for each engine or will they common up somewhere??

The reason for asking is if they common up then the tester will only need to test in one position. If they both exit very close to each other then it might be considered one exhaust but if they are on opposing sides then he will have to run the noise test twice and average the results. It may be the same for emissions.

[Edited on 6/12/05 by jos]

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
Yeah twice as much hassle

LOL!

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
Sorry, that wasnt any help to you was it. Are you planning on having an exhaust on each side of the vehicle for each engine or will they common up somewhere??

Depends if both engines drive the back wheels, as Tiger z100, although it still has two exhausts

OR

Its 4WD, one engine driving rear, one front! Then i would have exhaust either side!

Z cars did a twin busa ultima like that! 1000bhp baby yeah!

smart51

posted on 6/12/05 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Two exhausts will make life easier when trying to adjust emmissions. Otherwise, how do you know which one to tweak?
greggors84

posted on 6/12/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think the Z100 only had one tail pipe.

Not sure about all the implications of having one or two tail pipes, but it would be alot easier to SVA the car with one engine then modify the car afterward to fit two. Im sure there wouldnt be anything untoward about doing in that way.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

the_fbi

posted on 6/12/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember a thread about twin engines and MOT's and in the end it was deduced/found that you needed to disable one for the MOT, as twin engined cars can't be MOT'd as such.

Similarly, when on scrappy racers, they did the twin engined Taxi, they had to disable one when running on the road between events.

No idea how this ties into the SVA stuff though.....

Gav

posted on 6/12/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC you cannot have a road vehicle that is driven by two engines on two seperate axles.
Think it was stated in PPC a few months ago.

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 8/12/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84

Not sure about all the implications of having one or two tail pipes, but it would be alot easier to SVA the car with one engine then modify the car afterward to fit two. Im sure there wouldnt be anything untoward about doing in that way.

Pics i have seen, it has two

DarrenW

posted on 8/12/05 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gav
IIRC you cannot have a road vehicle that is driven by two engines on two seperate axles.
Think it was stated in PPC a few months ago.

Are you sure about that? Dubsport have done a few twin VR6 engined Golfs in that format. I think they got round it though be having the gearlinks connected and possibly one common ignition system????? Not sure about exact details.

Would twin engines in 4WD format have a problem on brake rollers, rolling roads etc?

Chris Snell in Novembers KitCar was going to do a twin engined 4WD seperate axle jobby. Apparently his research of Z cars showed that they needed a very expensive Motec system to co-ordinate the performance of each engine so that it would corner, grip and handle correctly.

Why not just put all of that cash into a modded busa and get the power in another way. It would be easier (maybe) to go RWD and fit launch / traction control.

Gav

posted on 8/12/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah ive seen them before, a golf with 2 VR6's
iirc they promised to only turn the second engine on when it was on a track...

DarrenW

posted on 8/12/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
You could be right. I cant remebre the details now. If that is the case it suggests it is far harder to do DIY stylee than people realise. Id bet that a well tuned and modded busa could have a better power to weight ratio and be more fun, possibly cheaper too.

DIY Si

posted on 17/1/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
From what i know (admittedly not too much on this subject!), you can run as many engines as you like BUT they must run a common drive shaft, ie two engines into a splitter box with two in and one out type of thing. Might be a right arse to find/make one, but it has been done. I believe Tiger did for their roar going version of the v.v.v quick 4x4 version they used to take some quickest to something record. That sufficiently vague?
stevebubs

posted on 17/1/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zzrpowerd-locost
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84

Pics i have seen, it has two

Yep..

Jim Pheonix & Simon's Z100
Jim Pheonix & Simon's Z100

(Spot the lurker in the background)

cornishrob

posted on 19/1/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
could you not do something like the w12 and w16 engines produced by volkswagen, 2 seperate cranks powering a single gearbox?

Personally i think that if you need 2 engines to get the power your not trying hard enough. a busa will produce 450hp pretty reliably, which in something as lightweight as a tiger B6 for example still under 500kg with a busa turbo do you need anymore? thats 900hp per tonne.

NS Dev

posted on 23/1/06 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The VW engines only have one crank!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.