Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: S/S Braided brake lines
bob

posted on 15/2/03 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
S/S Braided brake lines

I'm hearing they are a problem for SVA,evidently they are a a bit abrasive so i've got to cover them.

I'm thinking of using a narrow spiral wrap,what have you used ?

Seems a bit silly as you will have break your legs going over the front wishbones to get to the pipes.LOL

cheers

donut

posted on 15/2/03 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
This is silly but true Bob so spiral wrap it is. They will probably require a couple of sofa coushons velcro'd to the nose cone next!

BTW a big thanks to Chris W for sorting a SVA section.

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 15/2/03 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
My brake lines came already wrapped in spiral wrap..(they came fron a TVR Tuscan)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 15/2/03 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
May have half a reel of heat shrink tubing lying round, you could cover them in that.

Will bring it to Stafford.

Dan.

P.S. What diameter are they? or what sizes needed to get over the unions?

bob

posted on 15/2/03 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
DAN

Diameter about 6mm and widest at end is 12mm at most.
Cheers

scutter

posted on 15/2/03 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Will look into it, have to man a computer at work on monday, so I'll be near my stock pile.

Dan.

donut

posted on 15/2/03 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I used to fly model aircraft and one thing that was used quite alot was tubing that shrank when heated with a hair dryer. I'll pop into the model shop next time i'm over that way and see if i can get some. I think it was used for the ends of electrical terminals.

Is this the same as you have scutter?

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

jmbillings

posted on 15/2/03 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Is this a recent change? We passed with stainless brake hoses. We did have to bend the bracket as on full lock the hose was touching the coilover, but he didn't query the actual hoses themselves
scutter

posted on 15/2/03 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Andy that's the stuff, I get the stuff gratis which is always good.

Let us know if you need some.

Dan.

Jim

posted on 16/2/03 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
I passed without any covers on the flexible brake hoses. My SVA's were in Oct and Nov 2002. Both cars passed.

Jim

gjn200

posted on 17/2/03 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
At autosport show this year you could buy (cant remember who, Doh!) them pre covered it lots of lovely colours.. and clear thank god.

<- Me!

bob

posted on 17/2/03 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to call my local SVA testing station or the help line on this one,i'm sure i've heard of a fail but cant find the info so i'll see what the men in white coats say.

theconrodkid

posted on 18/2/03 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
www.bsr-aerotek.com do the sexy coloured brake hoses

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

johnston

posted on 19/2/03 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

www.bsr-aerotek.com do the sexy coloured brake hoses

so do earls but the ends are clamped on so u need to get someone wit a machine to make em they also cover the clamped endy bit wit coloured heat shrink well tidy job

paulbeyer

posted on 27/2/03 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I heard they MIGHT fail braided brake lines because of the type of fittings (they use olives in compression joints) not because of the risk of a minor chafing injury. Could be wrong though but MK wont sell them anymore I ended up with rubber ones.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

NS Dev

posted on 22/3/04 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I had read this too in some DAX literature, but reading the manual it mentions the "olive" type fittings but then goes on to say (in summary) that you are ok as lomg as there is support in the bore of the hose at the joint, which there is with these types of fittings. How the SVA tester would know this I don't know!
wicket

posted on 23/3/04 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
It seems to depend on which test centre you use, we have covered ours in clear heatshrink just in case, they look OK.

In the latest revised SVA manual there seems to be clarification about hose fittings with olives (ferrules), see attachment. Goodridge fittings have the inner sleeve; maybe evidence from the supplier of the hoses is needed for SVA, can anybody already SVA'd confirm. Rescued attachment Brake_Pipe_Ferrule.jpg
Rescued attachment Brake_Pipe_Ferrule.jpg

NS Dev

posted on 23/3/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I thought may be you could take in a spare fitting to show the tester the support tube, obviously he is then relying on you that that is the fitting type used on the car though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.