Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT
Edsanutcase

posted on 1/2/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
MOT

I am a MOT tester and a locost builder,
also built a Luego, a Gemini. almost finished my mac1. any help or advice, I will try my best.
Also, I look after a colection of classic cars.
Ed.

Avoneer

posted on 1/2/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ed,

With relation to the new computerised MOT business, is a Q plate emissions test based on what you had at SVA or on a Q plate - ie, smoke test?

Many thanks,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Edsanutcase

posted on 2/2/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
gas test

Pat.
This is whats stated in the testers manual.

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before august 1998 and rotary engine vehicles first used before august 1987 are to considered first used before 1st august 1975 (visual check only)

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after august 1998 (s reg) are requied to obtain a SVA test and should be tested to the limits stated on the log book/ registration certificate. So present your log book to your mot tester at time of test.
This will have a date of first reg he can test to.

"Q" plate vhehicles are exempt from emissions test (visual check only)This was well hidden and took me an age to find.

These are MOT test requirments only not SVA requirements
Hope this helps.
Ed.

zetec

posted on 2/2/06 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Good news is the tester will judge the age of the car by the reg plate. So mine was first reg in 2003, and did not need an mot for 3 years, when I do get it tested it will need a smoke only test...
Avoneer

posted on 4/2/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
So basically (after SVA) for MOT, I will not require a cat on my carb'd 1997 blade engine, as long as it is on a Q plate as the emissions will be done as a visual test???

Cheers,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Edsanutcase

posted on 4/2/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thats right Pat, If it is on a "Q" plate its exempt from a emissons test, visual check only. the tester must check for excessive somke from the exhaust.
Ed.
I will post the exact wording on monday.

Edsanutcase

posted on 4/2/06 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec, If your MK was declared new at first registration. (built with all new componets, built by a vehicle manufacturer, ie Ford) It will not require a MOT untill its 3rd year. kit cars(amateur built cars) require a MOT as soon as they are on the road. also if your MK is registered 2003 it will require a full cat emissons test. Unless its a diesel!
Ed.

Hellfire

posted on 5/2/06 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with Zetec on this one. We built our MK in 2004 and in accordance with the regulations, will not have an MOT until 2007. The vehicle was first registered in May 2004 and on an age related plate, therefore not all parts are new. Are you telling me and others that we're driving illegally??

[Edited on 5-2-06 by Hellfire]

indykid

posted on 5/2/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec
Good news is the tester will judge the age of the car by the reg plate. So mine was first reg in 2003, and did not need an mot for 3 years, when I do get it tested it will need a smoke only test...

nope, it'll need testing to the reg plate you have, which if your photo archive is correct, makes it an '89, G, so 3.5% CO, 1200ppm HC.

infact, strike that, it'll be based on the emissions limits on the V5, so will be identical to what you had at sva. if it was a Q plate, then it would only be visual smoke.

as for the no MOT for 3 years, if what i've read on here is correct, it stands, to the point where someone, having MOT'd before SVA, had the DVLA remove the 'flag' on their vehicles file so it did'nt need an MOT to tax it for three years.

hth
tom

[Edited on 5/2/06 by indykid]

RoadkillUK

posted on 5/2/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Our car was MOT'd on the VIN number before the SVA test, this was in 2004.

Since then I have taxed the car twice, both times on the internet and both times not needed an MOT. Also the MOT is not listed on the Road Tax reminder.

So I'm guessing that it doesn't need MOT'ing for the first 3 years.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Hellfire

posted on 5/2/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
The MOT tester will take the age of the vehicle from the registration plate and also assume that this is the date on which it was first used.

A - If your car has an AGE-RELATED plate he’ll assume that the engine is the same age as the plate and do the test accordingly. However, if your age-related plate refers to pre-Aug 1998 (‘S’ Prefix) you will continue to get the visible smoke test for the life of the vehicle REGARDLESS of the age of the engine. Remember though that this does NOT include PERSONALISED plates as in this case the vehicle will continue to be tested according to its age and NOT the vehicle registration number.

B - If your vehicle has a CURRENT/NEW plate or one that is after 1st August 1998, you will get a ‘basic’ emissions test, which is a basic check conducted to set limits carried out BEFORE the ‘CAT’ test. If you pass…..GREAT. If you fail though you’ll be subject to a full ‘by-the-book’ CAT test, plus remember that if you fail this you’ll also fail the MOT. Of course there are plenty of CURRENT/NEW registered kits running around with reconditioned engines so in this instance you will have to prove the age of the engine to the MOT tester. Ideally you should have a copy of your SVA MAC ‘pass’ certificate, which will be sufficient. Otherwise you will have to get a letter from the engines manufacturer stating clearly what year the engine was made.

C - Cars with a ‘Q’ plate are regarded as being of uncertain age so therefore will continue to be subject to the visible smoke test.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.