Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front cycle wings/ front indicators.
Chaz

posted on 7/4/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Front cycle wings/ front indicators.

For the front cycle wings i know about where the wing should be located, only thing i'm unsure of is the distance from the wheel that the wing should be? Enough to get your little finger between the tyre and wing???

Secondly the indicators should be 300mm from the outermost edge of your car either side. Are there any regulations required to do with size of indicator? Lots of people use these small ones, are these SVA compatible? Which indicators (small ones) have you used? Any good?

NS Dev

posted on 7/4/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thought it was 400mm for the indicators not 300??

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jos

posted on 7/4/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
As long as theres enogh space to get the wheel & tyre off and theres no rubbing then youve got enough space. I left quite a large gap above my tyre and can hear the arch touching the tread on occasions when going into deep compressions of over expansion sections of bridges etc.

Its the intensity of light emitted from the front indocators as well as their location that is important. Its very subjective and open to interpretation but there you go. I used bike front side repeaters on some custom made extension stalks for my sva. Personally I dont like the idea of indicators on front wheel arches but its a personal choice. I cant remember which bike mine were from but they worked perfectly well for SVA.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

DarrenW

posted on 7/4/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Cycle wings - i taped hosepipe on top of wheel (2 short lengths, i think it was between 20 and 25mm dia), then bent the steel brackets round on top of them before bonding the arches in place. i was so close with the forward position that the SVA tester had to get spirit level out! Take care that the arches dont move while adhesive cures!

Indicators - i used wing mount ones. Worked a treat. Cables bonded to underside if wing whilst wings were being bonded to brackets. There was talk that the indicators had tohave approval marks on them but i cant recall the tester even looking. he just checked the visibility angles. Sorry, cant help ref minimum size.

MikeR

posted on 7/4/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Just been thinking about this and i like the idea of putting something small and lightweight on the cycle wing.

Then i thought, how cool would a row of orangel LED's be on the front edge of the cycle wing as your indicator.

Now i realise this will be unsprung weight but sometimes bling has to come first.

Any ideas what the E marking requirement is?

Surrey Dave

posted on 7/4/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
The gap would have to be more than your little finger or you wont get the wheel on and off, my gap is more than that and it is a bit difficult to jiggle the wheel on.
Surrey Dave

posted on 7/4/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Look!

Rescued attachment 3Indicators.jpg
Rescued attachment 3Indicators.jpg

02GF74

posted on 7/4/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave

Dave, what is with the trim round the edge? obviously radiussing for SVA but manual has different requirement if wings are fibre glass than for metal edges? (I need to look it up), don;t want to mess doign thatto mine..... grrrrr.....

and back to question; will you little row of indicators have E stamp on the lens? hmmm, wouldnlt have thought so so not legal.

Distance is 500 mm from sides of bodywork (this is the widest part that is most likely the rear wheel arches) but is 400 mm if vehicle width is less that 1400 which it won't be; trust me, I;ve just been through all that....

nitram38

posted on 7/4/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Bought from Mac1:

Description
Description

[Edited on 7/4/2006 by nitram38]

MikeR

posted on 7/4/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
and god invented stoneleigh .......

something to add to my shopping list!

Surrey Dave

posted on 8/4/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Easy to do ..............I put it on for the SVA ,but ended up keeping it on as it good protection for the fibreglass..
Stu16v

posted on 8/4/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Distance is 500 mm from sides of bodywork (this is the widest part that is most likely the rear wheel arches) but is 400 mm if vehicle width is less that 1400 which it won't be; trust me, I;ve just been through all that....

I think you are confusing 'min separation' with 'distance from side of vehicle' requirements - it is definately 400mm...

Dont just build it.....make it!

NS Dev

posted on 8/4/06 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thought so, glad it's not 300 or I'd be in the kacky poo!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 9/4/06 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
This would be perfect... if they didn't cost almost $200 a pair

Joao

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 9/4/06 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
OR This which are cheaper...

Joao

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.