Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top electric window problems
locoboy

posted on 12/6/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top electric window problems

Hi fellas,

My Pug 406 drivers window is having a bit of a dicky fit!

Pretty standard set up really, half press on the switch in either direction and it moves until you release the switch, full press and it does the auto open or close thing………………………..Well this is how it used to work!

It now wont do the auto in either direction although the second audible click from the switch is still there when fully depressed in either direction. But it only works in ‘manual’ mode when winding the window down.

When I try to wind the it back up again it no matter how long I hold the switch down for or how far down I press it the window only goes up about 2cm, then I need to release and re press the switch to make it go up another 2cm……..and so on.

So in short the auto mode does not work at all and the manual mode works fine going down but only 2cm at a time going up.

I took the switch out tonight and gave it a clean and all the wires seem to be secure and not corroded. I wiggled the wires when operating the switch and that made no difference at all.

What is my next component to check?

ATB
Locoboy

matt.c

posted on 12/6/06 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like your window needs resetting.
You can do this by putting down the window to the bottom and when its there hold down the button for a couple of seconds then press the button up like you would do when you wanted the window to go to the top by its self.
If this does not work try doing the same but with the window at the top not at the bottom and do the same.

Hope this works?

Matt

JoelP

posted on 12/6/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
on my old 406, the drivers window did a similar thing, except it wouldnt go up at all. Never bothered fixing it (was the motor), just taped it up and smashed it a few months later.
flyingkiwi

posted on 13/6/06 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
My old mazda window used to do that all the time, you checked the window runners for dirt? Think it was something to do with the force required to push the window up, a safety feature in case some muppet has his head out the window whilst it goes up, if the motor is trying to hard to put the window up it will stop.

Try lubricating the window runners and the seal, and give the edges of the window a good clean.

Hope this helps
Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

tks

posted on 13/6/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
mhh

yeah

deffo looks like the fuse problem.

the motor is protected by an electrical fuse wich will cut the power of to the motor in case it hits the final / is stopped by certain force by a mupet or what ever...

its the reason that when you want to do any harm to a hand or what you need to use the step button/mode.

its or that fuse or its deffo the resistance of the window sow check:

- Windows rubber
- Rails
- The threaded bar of the motor
- The triangle

sow i would say WD40 come out of the box...

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

02GF74

posted on 13/6/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
had a problem with passenger side window that would go down but not up, in an Astra GTE; managed somehow to close the window and then disconnected the switch
locoboy

posted on 14/6/06 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the tips but Matt.C. was right!

I just did your trick and hey presto it was back to normal.

What makes it need re-setting in the first place?

Its a handy tip to know, i was close to ripping the door apart and visiting scrap yards.

Thanks again Matt.

ATB
Locoboy

matt.c

posted on 14/6/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
no worries buddy

Many years of banging my head against walls untill i find out how to solve problems!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.