Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to identify a Type 9?
jmbillings

posted on 18/5/03 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
How to identify a Type 9?

Hi all.

Searching for a type 9 box nearby,and Steve dropped by a breakers today... apparently there are 4 different boxes from Sierras? We need a '9 to connect to our bellhousing, so is there a good way to identify them? i.e. is it actually written on it anywhere? or are there certain features/model nos. etc?
Thanks!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK

of the four you propose, fitted to sierras, if they are four speed, they are not a type nine. That leaves the 9 and the mt75.

"How to identify a type nine or type n gearbox"

is a thread close to this one posted a day or two before. There is a piccy.

The weird looking 4wd box is a type nine with the pokey out bit added for 4wd use. The bell housing isnt shown.

The only other 5 speed fitted to serra from about 89 on in the MT75, which is all one peice with bell housing, is alu, and has lots of external ribbing on it. The nine is basically smooth surfaced.

Look up rob lanes site, or his entry on the list membership - he has type nine and type C (4 speed) pic on there.

atb

steve

[Edited on 18/5/03 by stephen_gusterson]

chrisg

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well of the four I suppose one is the auto box, 1 will be the MT75, big aluminium webs on the outside, usually fitted with the DOHC engine, the four speed has a circular hole for the gear lever which screws in on a nylon thread with locking tabs around the base and....finally the 5 speed type nine which has a gear lever attached with three bolts.

Any breaker worth his salt should know the difference

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

jmbillings

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, thats the impression I get from http://www.burtonpower.com/pages/technical/tt_typeE.asp... Impression we got was that the 4 were more similar looking! Forgot about the 4 speeds too.

Next question then- were there different ratio's on the 9's for different engines? If so, is there a preferred one for a locost? I know the 5 speeds are not the best ratios anyway, but its what we need to use for now!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/5/03 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK - unless anyone can say different - I think they are the same....and that the rear axle ratio changes things....

that burton page has some good piccys - you should be able to tell difference from those,........ certainly the mt75!

James

posted on 19/5/03 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
There's another couple of boxes not mentioned here but in Sierra's.

The V6 variants. They are a variant of both the Type9 and the MT75.

They have a slightly longer input shaff so make sure you get yours from a non V6.

HTH,

James

bob

posted on 19/5/03 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
My type 9 looks like this

I'm sure there is ID info on puma racing site as well as some good pics

[Edited on 19/5/03 by bob] Rescued attachment eng ready for in.jpg
Rescued attachment eng ready for in.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.