Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: battery cut off switch location? where is SVA friendly??
mongrelwestie

posted on 27/8/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
battery cut off switch location? where is SVA friendly??

i want to fit a battery cut off switch as i dont have a steering wheel lock but im not sure where i can put it so it will still pass a SVA? does it have to be a certain distance from something or other??
any help would be great.
i want to put it in the middle of my transmision tunnel, under the dash

caber

posted on 27/8/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Theoretically is should be out of reach from the driving position as far as i could make out from the SVA manual. Mine is above the dashboard bottom edge on the scuttle on the passenger side so it cannot be contacted by SVA sphere and is out of sight. you can reach it from outside the car if you know where it is to remove or replace the red bit. I will know soon if SVA man likes it!

Caber

mongrelwestie

posted on 27/8/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
cool, i thought that it would have to out of reach, ill make a bracket for it to go in a similar place as yours
StevieB

posted on 27/8/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Could always play safe and stick under the bonnet?
muzchap

posted on 27/8/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I can't remember who does them - think its Car Builder Solutions.

But it goes on the negative battery terminal and is a windy green disc that breaks the contact - that was fine by my SVA inspector (Nottingham) - it's also dead handy when isolating the battery

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

nitram38

posted on 27/8/07 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I can reach mine from the driving postion no problem and it passed.
There are a couple of exculsion zones you can use.
Somewhere within 127mm of the outer edge of your steering or within 170mm of the floor line. The sva guy told me about the floor exculsion.
If you mount the switch on the outside of the car, the key itself will fail unless you do what I did. Mount it in clear resin.
I also put my immobiliser fob inside and a penny so that I can hang the key on a magnet on my desk:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Here it is on my side pod where I reach it from my driving position:
Description
Description

[Edited on 27/8/2007 by nitram38]

iank

posted on 27/8/07 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mongrelwestie
cool, i thought that it would have to out of reach, ill make a bracket for it to go in a similar place as yours

Why? the ignition key on my tintop can be reached while driving

Though the anti-theft device section does state an anti-theft device mustn't operate while the engine is running, but putting it where a passenger can reach it doesn't prevent that either.

Wording is a bit bizarre really as it assumes you have a conventional ignition key.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mongrelwestie

posted on 27/8/07 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
now im confused, can it be anywhere in the cockpit or does it have to be out of site? if i put it under the bonnet will it count as a form of imobolisation for the sva??
nitram38

posted on 27/8/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
It is not technically an immobiliser because the fia key is universal and anyone can get a key for it.
What counted on my car was a thatcham fob immobiliser (electrical) and the fact that my steering wheel is removable (mechanical).
A normal ignition is both mech and elec, but I don't like steering locks on performance cars.
I fitted my Fia key for my own benefit in that someone else could turn it off if I have an accident. Pretty useless if it is under the bonnet!

mongrelwestie

posted on 27/8/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
ok well i have not got a locking steering wheel, im going to have an imoboliser fob, so what else can i use to get me through the test?
mongrelwestie

posted on 27/8/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
ok well i have not got a locking steering wheel, im going to have an imoboliser fob, so what else can i use to get me through the test?
Johneturbo

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just been searching on this.

so would i be ok fitting this within the 127mm of the steering wheel to avoid the radius problem with the key?

nitram38

posted on 27/1/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
Just been searching on this.

so would i be ok fitting this within the 127mm of the steering wheel to avoid the radius problem with the key?

Yes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.