Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: shot in the dark - road legal go-karts?!
mic

posted on 4/9/07 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
shot in the dark - road legal go-karts?!

take any random go-kart you'd find on a circuit. stick lights etc on it - would it be possible to get it road legal standard to get it on a Q plate?!
i know it would be a harsh ride with no suspension and a few other minor issues suchlike but how cool would that be to drive around (smooth) roads on a go-kart legally?!

just a thought, it might be a really stupid crappy idea but would it be that hard to make possible?

mic

www.retromods.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/9/07 at 05:13 AM Reply With Quote

As soon as you can find some E marked road legal tyres for one then maybe you could take one for SVA???

We want pics though (as well as a copy of your failure sheet). Brake test should be fun as the karts i have driven have had rear brakes only!!

:

big_wasa

posted on 4/9/07 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
My brothers mate took one on the road as a kid (17).

Lets just say the car didnt see him and he is now a vegtable

Dangle_kt

posted on 4/9/07 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mic
take any random go-kart you'd find on a circuit. stick lights etc on it - would it be possible to get it road legal standard to get it on a Q plate?!
i know it would be a harsh ride with no suspension and a few other minor issues suchlike but how cool would that be to drive around (smooth) roads on a go-kart legally?!

just a thought, it might be a really stupid crappy idea but would it be that hard to make possible?

mic

I hope your a dentist... no suspension on our roads...ouch!

Also would ground clearence be an issue? Obviosuly you couldnt get over any speed bumps, but is there anything SVA related about ground clearence?

blakep82

posted on 4/9/07 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
front and rear lights would have to be on sticks, about head height (to someone sitting in the kart)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Phil.J

posted on 4/9/07 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
For what it is worth, I do remember reading about someone in the sixties doing a round the world trip in a road registered kart, but that was pre-SVA!
Gergely

posted on 4/9/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I have just read that karts are in fact legal in Germany now. It is based on a EU regulation apparently...

There are a few makers that sells road legal ones. Apparently they do 75-80 km/h:

Kart4you

Kart

I wouldn't want to sit in one of these at 80km/h in traffic though...

Gergely

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 4/9/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
By the time you fettle the brakes, lights, suspension, SVA requirements etc, you might as well just say you've built a se7en type car!
Peteff

posted on 4/9/07 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Surely they will come under the quadricycle rules not car based SVA so the lights etc. will be tested differently. A lot of the quad riding knobs round here are now realising they are not that brilliant to ride on the road, wheelying in traffic and overtaking dangerously is only fun while you have an audience of ten year olds so it may be a novelty for a short while till you realise it's not that good an idea.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

alan wheeldon

posted on 4/9/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have just got back from Cyprus and they have them there. Its a bit strange when you see a go-kart sat at the traffic lights in between a couple of cars!!

Built black pinto MK, black blackbird MK, yellow pinto MK. Now working on a Sierra.

logicaltuning.com (a new web site about cars and bikes)

smart51

posted on 4/9/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Surely they will come under the quadricycle rules not car based SVA so the lights etc. will be tested differently. A lot of the quad riding knobs round here are now realising they are not that brilliant to ride on the road, wheelying in traffic and overtaking dangerously is only fun while you have an audience of ten year olds so it may be a novelty for a short while till you realise it's not that good an idea.

it is a quadricycle if it weighs less than 400 kg and has less than 15 kw (20.1 BHP)

Lighting requirements are similar to cars for SVA unless it is less than 1300mm wide (I think)

locoboy

posted on 4/9/07 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alan wheeldon
I have just got back from Cyprus and they have them there. Its a bit strange when you see a go-kart sat at the traffic lights in between a couple of cars

Thats if your lucky, if not then you don't see it and then there is a nasty mess and teeth marks in the front of your bumper.

ATB
Locoboy

DarrenW

posted on 4/9/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
A se7en is allegedly almost invisible to the majority of drivers so a Kart would be downright dangerous. No thanks.

red22

posted on 4/9/07 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
So what are the smallest road legal tyres then?
andylancaster3000

posted on 4/9/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by red22
So what are the smallest road legal tyres then?

At a guess, 10" mini wheels. I cant think of any cars with smaller wheels then that. Far too big and hard for a kart probably.

red22

posted on 4/9/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
just been checking out the wonderfull world of tyres for 10" rims.
mmmmm.....225/40/10
Anyone know the PCD for quad rims?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.