Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: subaru engine
quinnj3

posted on 17/3/08 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
subaru engine

just been dreaming, WLR + subaru boxer turbo. mmmmmm! How could this be made rw, or would it be best just to try and keep it 4wd. What kind of expense would it take to make it rwd.

Would be nice

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

Chippy

posted on 17/3/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
LOTS and LOTS. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/3/08 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can the gearbox output feeding the front wheels not simply be blanked off???

[Edited on 17/3/08 by Paul TigerB6]

quinnj3

posted on 17/3/08 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
i don't think its as easy as that otherwise loads of people here would be using them. The engines sit naturally low in the car and are not all that expensive to buy. I was thinking maybe an adapter plate coupled to a suitable box. Would really like a 6 speed but not easy to find. Maybe an s2000 gearbox? Might be a little low geared though.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

t.j.

posted on 18/3/08 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Around here (till approx 1995) they used to have 2WD, so better look out for a 2 WD gear-box.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

zzr1100rick2

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
all the 2wd where front wheel drive
Howlor

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
They must be capable of been made RWD easily I have seen a few rally cars advertised were they run them in a RWD championship then just convert them back for forest rallys.

Steve

niceperson709

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
http://iainseven.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/patrickv.jpg?w=595&h=447
http://iainseven.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/patrick.gif?w=594&h=397

a couple of pictures of some one who has done it this a was just using the fairly common 1800 using a 4wd box that has the front drive shafts removed and the centre differential welded up it can be done and would give an incredibly low C of g which could work real well in one of these cars.

[Edited on 18/3/08 by niceperson709]

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

Duncan_P

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Rather than using a WLR you could consider using something rear engined, like the Spire GTR then it 'may' be possible to get away with using a 2wd subura box and you still get the GT looks.
quinnj3

posted on 18/3/08 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
that engine seems to fit really well inside the locost chassis and i know how small they are. Would be really nice in a wlr. Is there any problems with the welded gearbox breaking? I know a couple of people who could weld up the original box. Problem is it would be very heavy compared to a rwd box, would the weight savings outweigh the cost of another box and adapter plate? Probably not unless money grows on trees. I would'nt be using it competitively just the odd track day.

Just been looking up AGM's website. WLR seems to be nothing more than a bodykitted locost as chassis design looks almost identical. Still does not put me off at all. Does anyone know what the quality is like of these cars and also the overall driving experience?

[Edited on 18/3/08 by quinnj3]

t.j.

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zzr1100rick2
all the 2wd where front wheel drive

Maybe you could build something like this?

SAKER

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

matt_claydon

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the WLR is an MK Indy with different bodywork.
quinnj3

posted on 18/3/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
so it'll drive like an indy too then. Suppose there is a massive difference between all the self built cars anyway. no car drives the same as another even if built from the same kit. I don't like that Saker, if i had that kind of money i'd either go for a GT40 kit or an ultima.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.