Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: new (to me) tin top - advice please
indykid

posted on 5/6/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
new (to me) tin top - advice please

right, as the cost of petrol spirals, i'm getting sick of forking out to fill a mk2 cavalier, donated to me by my dad from his collection. it's got a weber carb on it and does 20mpg on a good day. it's only a 1.6 too

i want something with a small engine for better economy and also insurance. i've been on my dad's policy up til now but figured since i was actually buying a car now, i might as well insure it too.

i've looked through all sorts and come upon a lupo or an arosa. around a '99/'00. they look small enough to maybe handle like go karts (though i'm probably wrong) and with a 1 litre engine, will need plenty of driver input to progress at any pace so keeping my mind active. i'm not massively interested in going anywhere fast though really.

i'd considered the 1.4 but it's about another £300 to insure them plus the greater vehicle cost.

i can't quite get to liking the looks of the arosa, but the lupo i've always found acceptable.

so does anyone have one? does swmbo have one? which is most promising or are both dire? interior trim quality? what about 1.0 vs 1.4? i'll probably miss the cav when it's gone but it really pains me to keep putting petrol in it.

cheers
tom

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/6/08 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
The cavalier should be getting around 35mpg, still low but I bet it’s not jetted right.

Can’t say I'd recommend a small engined, small car as I've had them and they really suck, plus they are death traps in a crash. They also tend to be the same cars the stupid boy racers use so the insurance will be terrible. I'd also recommend you keep going on your dads insurance as IMOP the no claim’s thing is a scam until you are past 25 years old. Go for a 4 door family car of around 1.6-1.8, don't modify it at all, nothing and the insurance will be fine. Even my old bluebird does 45mpg and it a 1.8, an injection car will do even better easily. Cars are probably at there cheapest ever now that they no longer rust.

Next doors wife has an Arosa (a red one), been in it, ghastly noisy thing, goes through wheel bearings like nothing else and gets a yearly repay as that’s about as long as the paint lasts

Never been in a Lupo, don’t think I ever will either

Stay away from small Fiat’s, they are total utter junk, been there done that, should have listened to everyone else you have been warned…

One option might be to put aside the cav's engine and fit a modern one instead, dead easy really and engines can be bought for little money.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aaron bassett

posted on 6/6/08 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
got a low milage fare condition rover 100 on a r
DaveFJ

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
small fiats are a good bet, dunno where some people get their info - I have never had a problem with a fiat and my Stilo was MUCH better built than my crappy Honda Civic!

[Edited on 6-6-08 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

indykid

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
i know you'll probably kill me for mentioning it mr whippy but i was also considering a vectra on lpg or an astra duelfuel. i'd also pondered diesel but the price is getting silly. i've driven mk2 and 3 cavaliers since passing my test and much prefer a proper sized saloon. swmbo's got a 1.25 fiesta that i drove a bit at christmas and it was pretty painful.

i may have to look more closely at an angine swap, maybe for a later vx 1.6 16v. my dad'd be happy at least since he gets to hold onto another mk2 cav (he's currently got 4) and i do actually enjoy driving something so unassisted. only problem is we're soon to lose our workshop space so unless i could do it in the next fortnight, it's maybe not so feasible.

cheers and keep any useful tit bits coming
tom

DaveFJ

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Diesel is getting ridiculous.. we made the swap last year and get about 34mpg around town, which isn't bad but with the price of diesel now it works out I am no better off than in a petrol car....
At our local Esso, diesel is currently going up at 3p per week!!

Dave

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 1.9 deisel citreon ZX, I'm pretty sure you can use cooking oil in them no problems - (but check)

Super reliable, larger than a supermini, and strong enough to tow too!

[Edited on 6/6/08 by Dangle_kt]

mcerd1

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
106 / Saxo's are ok
cheap and chearful - some things could be better but they are basicaly alright

my 1.0 carb'd, 4spd one managed 37mpg on short trips without trying and 55+mpg on long motorway trips
and thats dispite having 100k on the clock and never having any major work done

as long as you stick to 1.0 (or 1.1's at a push) you should still get a cheapish insurance - the 1.4 / 1.6's are prime boy racer teraotory
my 1.0 was £250/y for TP only when I was 21 (2 years NCD) and the last renawal it was £180 (6 years NCD)

[Edited on 6/6/08 by mcerd1]

ned

posted on 6/6/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
My ex had an arosa some years ago, it was a 1ltr. At anything over 90mph it made the cd skip and was rather noisy and unrefined. it also moved like a snail, even if you were trying to boot it. Build quality was ok/good but it was a very low spec car and as the lupo was very new at the time getting pattern parts was an issue at the time but that's probably changed now.

I had a saxo 1.1 and my mate had a 1ltr about 8-9 years ago and they were good little cars excepting the odd french build quality issue, but they're cheap to run and insure, not bad to drive and should get over 40mpg unless you drive it like it's stolen.

The skoda felicia is actually quite a good car, the 1.3 or 1.6 should get over 40mpg, they're very cheap to buy and run if you don't mind driving a skoda - there's 2x felicia's in my family and they've had fabia's and octavia's and an estelle aswell!

Ned.

ps you probably wouldn't go far wrong with a corsa or fiesta either. just buy a cheap basic model that's been well looked after and don't modify it - goes for any of the above cars too of course!

[Edited on 6/6/08 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 6/6/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Pug 306?
- If you cant beat them, join them. Ive got a 1.8 v-reg which cost me £1800 to buy, £750 insurence with one years named driver no claims TPFT.
- Drives well, shouldnt have any real issues on MOT, returns about 35mpg, 40 on long gentle runs. The 1.6 i had before wat £700 insurence and did around 38 to the gallon average.

Daniel

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/6/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
small fiats are a good bet, dunno where some people get their info - I have never had a problem with a fiat and my Stilo was MUCH better built than my crappy Honda Civic!

have a look underneath them and you see that there is zero rust proofing, mine and a friends one were covered in rust in the arches and on the floor (mine actually had two holes in a crossmember) despite being only 4 years old and I always kept mine clean since it was white. Engine cut out several times, head gasket blew, brakes were awful. Friends clutch failed and I had to tow him home at which point the towing eye ripped right out the front. Very very noisy, handling was dreadful (once did a 360 spin crossing a large round about without any warning). In the end I flattened it with my digger.

So no, their still rubbish.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

DaveFJ

posted on 6/6/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
As I say - had several Fiats and they have never given me any trouble at all... Stilo was 5 years old when sold and spotless, no rust at all, no mechanical problems, no electrical problems and completely rattle free. My Honda was brand nerwe last year and has broken down 3 times already. rattles like a babys toy and generally sucks! (not good for a 25k car!)
now if we want talk about renaults!!!!
Every single renault i have ever driven (about 10 I suppose) (including hire cars!) has let me down!

Dave

McLannahan

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Whipster on the Fiat debate. Sister had an Uno, dreadful car and just wouldn't do hills. She had it from new and it was just so bad she had to nearly give it away. Sister-in-law had a Panda. It wasn't that cheap to run, service and so so thin in quality. Don't think she would have stood a chance in it what so ever. Brother has a Stilo and it's a disgrace. All the electronics have gone wrong, aircon has never worked properly and everytime it comes to a service with it there's something serious wrong and major money needed. Parts aren't cheap for it either!

That's my experiences with Fiat - I'd not touch a small Fiat with pole that's meant for barges....

iank

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
How old were these terrible Fiats? 80's, 90's?
My wifes 07 Punto is very good - maybe they've improved (as VW has gone downhill a tad).

Just goes to show how a bad reputation can get repeated as current fact even years later.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

McLannahan

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ian - Uno was 1992, Panda was admitedly 1988 I think? But Stilo is a 54 I think? They may well have improved - I do very much like the new 500 but it's a little too early to see how they're fairing on the roads!

You're right about VW - I think quality has taken a right dive recently. My old MK1 Golf will probably outlast my Polish built 53 Passat!

02GF74

posted on 6/6/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Can’t say I'd recommend a small engined, small car as I've had them and they really suck, plus they are death traps in a crash.

I am not so sure this applies to some of the modern ones e.g. the smart car.

it wouldn't surprise me if a modern small car outperforms a larger old car but modern big cars will be offer better protection - hence popularity, be it correct or not, of SUVs.

there is lot of stuff about crash protetion on the web but depending on who is conduction them, they may be crashed in such a was so the nodel being promoted performs best.

indykid

posted on 6/6/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
well after sparking so much debate, i thank you all for your opinions, but i think mr whippy might have found the solution.

i've spent my morning looking at a c16xe or x16xe conversion for the cav.

the pros are
-i'm not taking on anyone elses problems with running gear, all of which i know is very sound on mine. (it's only done 50k even though it's an 87)
-it's vauxhall and they've always proven to be very reliable in my experience
-it means my dad can keep another in his fleet so should be happy to insure it
-it's a project and i like them
-39mpg and 100bhp
-parts are peanuts and we have heaps and heaps of spares
-i get a car with character

cons
-limited time to sort the conversion
-currently have no welder for modding exhaust
-ecu may have an immobiliser depending on which engine i go for (needs key, transponder ring and matched ecu on x16 engine)
-not an OE solution

i have all the time in the world since i'm now on uni summer holiday...........so just need to find a decent donor and get the nod from my dad since it's his car.
tom

britishtrident

posted on 6/6/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ

With small Fiats Head gaskets are almost a service part --- seems to be mileage related, also Italian electrical systems are not exactly the best in the world esprcially in the damp UK climate.

[Edited on 6/6/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 6/6/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Something is far wrong if the fuel consumption on the Vauxhall is so bad it should better 30mpg even absolutely hammering in urban it getting below 24 isn't normal.

On the Vauxhall I would
(1) check the carb isn't flooding or the choke sticking on,
(2) Check the airfilter is clean
(3) Do a compression test and check the valve clearances and cam timing.

If the car really is a Mk2 Cavalier it must be pretty old (ie the MK2 was first FWD Cavalier model) --- if that is the case it is unlikely to have valve seats suitable for unleaded fuel ---- hence possible valve problem which will cause excessive fuel consumption.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 6/6/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Ian - Uno was 1992, Panda was admitedly 1988 I think? But Stilo is a 54 I think? They may well have improved - I do very much like the new 500 but it's a little too early to see how they're fairing on the roads!

You're right about VW - I think quality has taken a right dive recently. My old MK1 Golf will probably outlast my Polish built 53 Passat!

These days unless a specific model has a known serious fault it dosen't make much difference what you buy as your are buying a car built from a common pool of parts.

Problem with VW and with most other european manufacturers such as Peugeot is that europe wide most of the propitiatory components are now sourced from Valeo and a handful of other companies. So not only is the quality no beter or worse than any other manufacturers if any of these suppliers redesign a component and make a mess of it it affects just about every car manufacturer ----- I can think of examples such as:in tank fuel filters that come apart, handbrake levers that release at the slightest knock, flasher light fittings prone to iffy connections, airbag connections that give spurious SRS warnings, MAF sensor faults ......

[Edited on 6/6/08 by britishtrident]

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 6/6/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Are Fiats still prone to the famous alarm ECU problem ?
Without any warning the ecu suddenly forgets all the keys programmed into it, problem is even the dealler can't program the keys back in because the red master key is also forgotten.

Result bill for £1300 for a new ECU and dealer time to program it back in.

So boffin can now apparently reprogram the ECU off car by making unofficial mods to the circuit board but it takes about 10 to 14 days to get the ECU back by post.

[/I]

indykid

posted on 6/6/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Something is far wrong if the fuel consumption on the Vauxhall is so bad it should better 30mpg even absolutely hammering in urban it getting below 24 isn't normal.

On the Vauxhall I would
(1) check the carb isn't flooding or the choke sticking on,
(2) Check the airfilter is clean

If the car really is a Mk2 Cavalier it must be pretty old (ie the MK2 was first FWD Cavalier model) --- if that is the case it is unlikely to have valve seats suitable for unleaded fuel ---- hence possible valve problem which will cause excessive fuel consumption.

cheers BT

yes, it REALLY IS a mk2 cavalier. it was born 2 years after me, but i can guarantee you that's what it is. it's on an E plate and does have valve seats deigned for unleaded.

it's an aftermarket weber carb and yes, the jets are probably oversized but the choke does come off completely and the filter's clean.

on a long run, it can just about manage 30mpg but that's sitting at 60 on a motorway run. i'm pretty sure even brand new with the standard carb they'd never manage 30mpg combined or urban whichever way you cut it.

previous to this one, i had a 1.6 SPi mk3 and that would do 27mpg wherever it went, whether you booted it or drove like a grandma.

modern multipoint seems to be the way forward but i still quite enjoy driving this bodyshell.
tom

rusty nuts

posted on 6/6/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote

Hydraulic tappets so checking the valve clearances probably won't help . Check the vacuum advance in the distributor , they fail and will cause high fuel consumption . Second the air filter.
Is the engine reaching normal operating temperature?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.