Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shell finally on...
kb58

posted on 7/12/03 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Shell finally on...

Keep in mind this is initial fitup only. Tons of time needed still to clean up the shell, make mounting points, and on, and on...

http://members.cox.net/kimini22/car/diary3/indexAugDec03.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tudor (Ted) Miron

posted on 7/12/03 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Looking COOL!

Ted

pbura

posted on 8/12/03 at 04:18 AM Reply With Quote
It's going to look good! What do you have to do in order to paint it, put a coat of filler all over?

Can't believe how little that car is!

Pete

kb58

posted on 8/12/03 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
Preping for paint is going to be a lot of long "un-fun" hours. While it would have been fun to do a clear coat over the carbon, it's just too rough. Yes there will be bits of filler here and there.

Yes it's pretty small, and one reason I've veared away from "toy-like" colors. While the bright blue looks really nice on the Nissan 250Z, I think it would make my car look very toy-like. It's going to be Lexus dark grey... or silver.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 8/12/03 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looking very nice!

When you've done that can I have one?

I presume the large bulge in the front is for the front engine versions?
Will you be flattening it down a bit?
When I looked at the pictures yesterday I thought "that is going to take some flatting down" to get rid of mould lines. I don't envy you there!

Spyderman

kb58

posted on 8/12/03 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
There are no mold lines. What you see is clay that was pressed into the mold seams, it rubs right off so no work there...

The enormous front lump will be removed completely - it'll help the apperance quite a bit. At roughly the same location is where the radiator exhaust vent will be.

sgraber

posted on 9/12/03 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
That's a sweet looking ride!

I know that you still have a lot of work ahead of you. But putting the shell on is a real milestone!

Contratulations

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

ProjectLMP

posted on 9/12/03 at 04:13 AM Reply With Quote
Looks cool. I was thinking of your car when watching the SCCA runoffs on Speed. The huffaker rear drive mini really looked cool. I guess its front engine rear wheel drive as opposed to mid engine.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

Mark H

posted on 16/12/03 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
That is sweet, man!! Love it.

When I'm over your way (yeah right!) I'll be popping in for a blast!!

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

kb58

posted on 16/12/03 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comment.

Putting on the shell has moved me into the next chapter of building - a chapter I had given very little thought to. Now, suddenly 100's of new issues have popped up, ones I didn't even know existed. As much work as it is, I realize it's still far less then what Alan's going through. While working on the shell is a refreshing change, it does confirm my suspicion that composite isn't pleasant to work with <still digging out carbon splinters from fingers.>

I'll definitely be ready to drive it in 2004 that's for sure!

sgraber

posted on 16/12/03 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Putting on the shell has moved me into the next chapter of building - a chapter I had given very little thought to. Now, suddenly 100's of new issues have popped up, ones I didn't even know existed. As much work as it is, I realize it's still far less then what Alan's going through.

Ahhh yesss. I look forward to reading your insights about integrating the body with the chassis. And Alan's experiences have put the fear of God into me!

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.