Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2009 SVA changes
oldtimer

posted on 1/9/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
2009 SVA changes

I know this subject has been posted before, but, any new news?? Is it confirmed that ABS is not needed? and ally fuel tanks are OK???? anything else we should be aware of??
smart51

posted on 1/9/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
A draft manual can be downloaded from HERE

Interestingly, it says that IVA applies to vehicle categories:

M1 4 wheeled cars
M2 and M3 busses and coaches
N1,2 and 3, goods vehicles
01, 2 and 3, trailers.

Does that exclude bikes and trikes then?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 1/9/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Well there is currently an SVA and a motorcycle SVA so i'd assume there will be a motorcycle IVA too to cover bikes n trikes
iank

posted on 1/9/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I'd expect a Motorcycle IVA to follow at some point, but until it does MSVA would have to remain in force.

As for more news - ABS not required, but if you use it then it needs to conform with the relevant regulations. Ally tanks are fine, plastic ones if used need to conform to appropriate regulations.

Lots of information in the sticky at the top of this section

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

coozer

posted on 1/9/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
All cars must have reverse gear for new IVA. Anyone building a BEC needs to be aware of this, its pointless in my view but at SVA I got the impression the tester didn't like BEC's as he was lookign forward to the new rule.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

smart51

posted on 1/9/08 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
notes from draft manual

Exhaust noise must not exceed 99 dB(A) at 2/3 of the max power speed.

Engines newer than 31st July 92 have to pass the BET test (0.3% CO, 200 ppm HC and 0.97 - 1.03 lambda).

A vehicle must be able to "propel the vehicle in a backwards direction under its own power"..."it may be a separate component i.e. electric motor"

edit: there is a mention of ABS ... It says "if an anti-lock braking system is fitted". I guess it is not compulsary then.

[Edited on 1-9-2008 by smart51]

Dick Axtell

posted on 1/9/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Ally tanks are fine, plastic ones if used need to conform to appropriate regulations.

Have fitted one of the original, non-leaking PTM (plastic) fuel tanks.

Will I have to replace this for the SVA? If so, by which deadline?

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

iank

posted on 1/9/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Re Plastic fuel tanks.

No, SVA will be fine with a plastic tank that isn't leaking, but yes if miss SVA and need IVA (Apr 09) or you will need some evidence that it meets the appropriate standards.

On the subject of BEC reverse there seems to be a lot of complaint about introducing it, but AFAIK it's mandatory for most racing - including F1 - for the obvious safety reasons, so the room for argument is going to be limited IMO. I suspect there will end up being reverse units being loaned out by manufacturers which then fall off and get returned after the test.

Finally ABS is mentioned on pages 60 and 61 Directive 71/320/EEC seems to be important but was, admittedly, even more clear in the original notes for the draft that were leaked that if fitted it must comply.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jacko

posted on 1/9/08 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
And is the price going up for the sva / iva
I bet it will £160 -----
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 2/9/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Try £500

--
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.