posted on 28/10/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good bye Ferrari?

Would they? I doubt it....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/oct/27/formulaone-motorsports

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

blakep82

posted on 28/10/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
what manufacturer really wants their name (ferrari, toyota, BMW etc) on a car running someone elses engine?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeR

posted on 28/10/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
its brinkmanship. FIA suggests this. Teams threaten to pull pug. They all go to paris, argue for a day or two and agree a compromise which they'd all have gone for if they didn't hate each other in the first place.

I'd suggest that anyone can make an engine. the engines go to a central pool where they are 'locked down'. Teams sign agreements to buy engines from manufacturers and get the engines from the locked pool held by the FIA. The engines can only cost a fixed amount set by the FIA.

This way if BMW want to make an amazing engine they can - just everyone else has the option of using it and it will only cost them a fixed amount. As anyone can get any engine you can't cheat and make special versions for yourself.

Job done.

chrisg

posted on 28/10/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
"Ferrari have been historically closely aligned with the FIA "

***cough***

We'd noticed.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/10/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
The worlds most stupid idea from Spanky there!!! So with Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Toyota and Renault all in F1, they try to suggest bringing in a common engine!!! I think every team will be behind Ferrari on this one (as will every fan) - but i recon the idea was to try and push the teams to cut costs elsewhere so they can keep the current manufacturers engines.

I'm sure the FIA will drop the idea now that Ferrari have said so anyway!!

Phil.J

posted on 28/10/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think that the cost cutting measures, including the 3 races per engine rule have scuppered the homogenised engine proposal now.
Back in the days when Enzo himself was at the helm of Ferrari, he threatened to withdraw the team on several occaisions when he wasn't getting his way!

Hammerhead

posted on 28/10/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
How about 1 engine and a spare per car per team for the whole season.

That way they will have to make them reliable, but if one does drop a rod they have a spare to play with. If the main and spare both perish during the season then you are out of the championship. Tough titties, should have made a more reliable engine.

Maybe Audi would then enter one of their diesel jobbies.

MikeCapon

posted on 28/10/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
This is unfortunately not a new FIA tactic. They do not really want a one motor series. They do however need the teams to all agree on some pretty drastic cost cutting measures.

So what do they do? They put a ludicrous proposition on the table. All the team people involved get very worried about their own jobs and futures. Suddenly they are able to accept other, slightly more reasonable ideas that they would previously have refused.

Bernie knows exactly what he's doing and yet again he will get what he wants.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/10/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
How about ban carbon brakes and carbon wings (which get smashed far too often at £10k plus a go and leave shards all over the track to puncture tyres)
smart51

posted on 28/10/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
How about 1 car per driver per season. That would make the cars very reliable. Repairs for collision damage are acceptable.

Either the later races of the season would be very lonely or there would be a lot of "accidental" mid season crashes. Either would be quite interesting.

Syd Bridge

posted on 28/10/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Can you people not see what is so glaringly obvious?

The contract for the engines will go to...

FERRARI!!!!

That way, they can guarantee that no-one will EVER beat them.

Cheers,
Syd.

johnston

posted on 28/10/08 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
How about they just take F1 back to what it was when it was good racing.

Drivers had full control of their car, so driver skill comes back into the equation so mistakes to allow passing come back . Take out fuel stops to take out the stratagy, so that racing takes part on the track not in the pits (also cuts cost by not needing all the safty gear refuel rigs and extra crew members).

Put them on slicks so they have more mechanical grip and less reliance on aerodynamics and maybe just maybe they will be able to get into dirty air and pass.

Stop punishing racers let them be aggressive if someone don't like a bit of push and shove let them go play on something else.

Otherwise put them all out in the same chassis same engine dyno'd to within a few bhp and just wave yellow flags for the entire race.

p.s, not watched a full season since mid ninties cos i kept falling asleep mid race.

But someone needs the balls to say to ferrari if you dont like it walk the threaten it all the time call their bluff..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.