Board logo

Honeycomb core aluminium / composite panel for flooring
Delinquent - 4/11/12 at 08:39 AM

Can anyone tell me the proper name for aluminium or composite floor panels - the type that have a core material sandwiched between them - and where to buy it that may have prices online?!

snakebelly - 4/11/12 at 09:11 AM

Google is your friend:
http://www.honeycombpanels.eu/eng/pannelli_sandwich/pannelli_sandwich.php

Hope you have very very deep pockets though. Are you sure this is what you need? we vacuum bagged our own composite floor panels using a foam core instead of honeycomb with carbon fibre as the outer skins with an additional kevlar layer for puncture rsistance between the bottom of the foam and the bottom carbon layer.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HYtBDQCeSex_4UhKHZVMgtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

[Edited on 4/11/12 by snakebelly]

ianclark1275 - 4/11/12 at 09:26 AM

Ford RS200 chassis is made from the honeycomb ali i think

i know someone who is restoring one, i will ask next time i see him

IC

wombat - 4/11/12 at 09:34 AM

Snakebelly you should have u2u...

Delinquent - 4/11/12 at 10:53 AM

Snakebelly, how many layers of each over what core? That was my original plan but I was trying to compare prices first with the ally. Annoyingly I used to know a source I could get fibrelam (the aircraft stuff, balsa skinned with ali) free but that has gone

Doctor Derek Doctors - 4/11/12 at 12:41 PM

Get the book "building motorcycle engined racing cars" he builds a honeycombe chassis in that book and is a useful look at what to do.

eddie99 - 4/11/12 at 03:29 PM

Let me know how much you need of ally honeycombe and ideal thickness, I might be able to save you some £

kendo - 4/11/12 at 03:41 PM

You could also try www.trbls.com

They are at least in the UK.

Delinquent - 4/11/12 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
Let me know how much you need of ally honeycombe and ideal thickness, I might be able to save you some £

u2u sent...