Board logo

GSXR sump issues
Sloan85 - 9/6/13 at 09:37 PM

My sump is well below the bottom of the chassis and I believe I have two options to sort it..... Chop the bottom of and weld on a plate (not too keen on this idea), or get a new billet sump.

I like the look of the billet sump and swinging pick up from Extreme Engines (I dont like the idea of spending £400 though!!). Does any one have an experience of this sump?

Are there any other sumps that I could use that are cheaper?

Cheers

Extreme Engines - GSXR sump

dave_424 - 9/6/13 at 09:46 PM

You could cut an weld, but that lower part helps keep oil at the pickup when cornering etc.

I recently welded a small crack and also a turbo drain into my ZX9 sump, no warping issues or leaks. I was told by the welder that no contaminants were in the casting which resulted in good looking welds.

peter bland - 10/6/13 at 07:12 AM

I run a standard sump with the same set up ie it sits well below the chassis, and never had any problems, just cautious on speed bumps.

smitht82 - 10/6/13 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by peter bland
I run a standard sump with the same set up ie it sits well below the chassis, and never had any problems, just cautious on speed bumps.

Dito, though i might fit a sump guard to deflect any impact.

fimi7 - 22/6/13 at 11:27 PM

So if you think about how much money and effort it is to replace a motor, my advice would be to by a wet sump pan or go dry sump. Yes both are not cheap, wet sump is much cheaper and simpler to put in.

I went the wet sump route. At the end of the day I have a completely flat bottom from front to rear with nothing hanging. I also raised the engine about 1/4 an inch to get that result.

Now its not something on my mind while I drive, especially over man whole covers..