Board logo

Radiator Fan Switch for 2.0L Pinto Indy
GH1985 - 1/7/08 at 04:56 PM

Hi everyone, hope you are all enjoying the nice weather!

I've been searching on the forum about this and haven't had much luck. And I can't seem to find a telephone number for MK at the moment, as their website is not up and running yet.

So here I am... I've got one of the MK radiators and need a fan switch for it. I measured that it needed to be a M22 thread, and read it needed to be a pitch of 1.5, with a 2 pin electrical connection.

But does anybody know what temperatures would be suitable for a 2 litre pinto engine? I have bought one which will turn the fan on at 95 degrees and off at 85 degrees. Does this seem about right? I looked at the Haynes guide to see if it had any information, and then remembered it hasn't got a fan switch as it has one of those thermo-viscous fans.

Any help, guidance, or suggestions would be most appreciated and will help put my mind at rest - afterall I don't want to overheat my 'beautiful' Pinto engine

Thanks, Graham.

Oh just thought, the haynes guide said that the thermostat opens at between 85 and 89 degrees and has a nominal temperature rating of 88 degrees.

James - 1/7/08 at 05:11 PM

I used (I think) a Golf rad switch as it fitted my Golf (same as Polo but wider) rad.

There are several different switching temps for Golfs... I just went for the one closest to the Sierra's temps.

Make sure you choose the two pin, not the three.

Cheers,
James

GH1985 - 1/7/08 at 05:17 PM

Thanks James, any more help with the temperatures will be greatly received!

James - 1/7/08 at 05:33 PM

I avoided posting the figures as couldn't remember!

But I'm 99% sure they're in the Haynes manual.

HTH,
James

EDIT: I should add, I've not driven the car with this rad/fan as I've only recently got it running. On a stationary test of 20-30minutes though it worked fine.

[Edited on 1/7/08 by James]

mad-butcher - 1/7/08 at 05:46 PM

I'd be quite happy with a range like that, better safe than sorry.
Tony

snapper - 1/7/08 at 06:14 PM

switches usually have an on and off temp aqbout 4 degs apart so on 88 degs and off 84 degs for the Pinto

LBMEFM - 1/7/08 at 06:35 PM

Vauxhall Cavalier rad switches are a perfect fit.
Barry

RobH - 1/7/08 at 07:52 PM

I think Snapper is right, but ring Burton they can tell you and supply the switch.

http://www.burtonpower.com/Default.aspx

Rob

martinq357 - 2/7/08 at 06:45 PM

Graham,

I just brought one from GSF for the Polo rad but the thread is the same as the std. MK rad:

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/results.asp

I ended up with the 93470 near the bottom of the page. It was actually 88deg ON, 79deg OFF.

Regards

Martin.