Board logo

Stupid question, needing help...
jono2020 - 1/3/11 at 02:40 PM

Iv just brought some harness's for my avon. It has the holes built into the chassis but they are not threaded so I need to buy longer eye bolts to screw them on... My stupid question is that I cant see an easy way of getting my hand up to the bottom of the chassis holes to attach the nut on the end. Without having to pay a a garage to use their ramps to give it a try has anyone managed to do it at home... and how the hell did u do it without having tiny tiny hands/arms.

nick205 - 1/3/11 at 02:59 PM

What size are the holes in the chassis?

Do the harness bolts drop straight into the holes?

It might be that you need a 7/16" UNF tap to cut a thread in the holes to screw the harness bolts into.

jono2020 - 1/3/11 at 03:07 PM

No idea what size the hole is but I was contemplating getting a stress plate and welding it on to the top then screwing it in via that... Is that going to be strong enough do u reckon...

nick205 - 1/3/11 at 04:58 PM

I think some photos would help here!

Is it a bought chassis or self built?

jono2020 - 1/3/11 at 05:12 PM

It's a factory built chassis

designer - 1/3/11 at 05:14 PM

Agree, cut some threads to mount.

jono2020 - 1/3/11 at 07:18 PM

But the bolts that I have are already too small. I spoke to a guy at tiger who said to get longer bolts and put a nut on the end but then I'm stuck with the fact I can't reach...

melly-g - 2/3/11 at 10:44 AM

Yes mine were like that, I got longer bolts and the missus helped me by holding the spanner on the top and I had long extension underneath on the nut. But I could get my hand up behind the bootbox to start the nut!

studon - 28/4/11 at 10:19 AM

Yes they are meant to go straight through. I removed my boot box lining and used a long socket. It wasnt too bad.

Hi to Mel by the way! hope you are doing well! I am missing my Tiger now I am here in Thailand :-(

Stu