Board logo

What engine?
Davegtst - 6/5/10 at 12:31 PM

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before but what should i go for. I've just put a deposit down on an MK indy and they have recomended fitting the hayabusa. Just spoke to Malc at yorkshire engines and he says the zx12 are hard to get hold of. Is it worth waiting a few months (remember i haven't got the kit yet or even started building) for the zx12 or pay an extra £700 ish and get the busa?

55ant - 6/5/10 at 12:33 PM

or, pinto.....

Davegtst - 6/5/10 at 12:35 PM

Not a chance. Why would i want to put that much rusty old iron up front.

TimC - 6/5/10 at 12:35 PM

I still think that the Busa is the ultimate, but it comes at a price. In addition, if you are going to track the car and use sticky tyres (R888 or A048s etc) you'll need a dry sump to stop it from going boom, so you could be looking at £2200 more than the 12R.

There are alternatives however - the 10R and CBR1000RR make very good power and are light.

You need to think about diff availability as well.

Davegtst - 6/5/10 at 12:39 PM

Malc did mention the 10r saying that they aren't that much less than the 12 but i don't want to have to upgrade after a while. It will be mainly a road car with a few track days thrown in and running on r888's. Do all busa's need sump mods?

FFTS - 6/5/10 at 12:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
It will be mainly a road car with a few track days

Get any!! they will all do 70mph so good for the road

coozer - 6/5/10 at 12:42 PM

V8

big-vee-twin - 6/5/10 at 12:43 PM

Duratec

Tris - 6/5/10 at 12:46 PM

You tried Andy at AB Performance for a ZX12 ?. I recently got mine from him and i knew that he had a few more for sale.

Ive read in one of the mags that busa's really need to be dry sump'ed - guess this really adds to the cost.

[Edited on 6/5/10 by Tris]

blakep82 - 6/5/10 at 12:49 PM

vauxhall for ford

scootz - 6/5/10 at 12:50 PM

Four of the guys around here are running Busa's and none of them have dry-sumped them... no problems after a couple of years use!

55ant - 6/5/10 at 12:50 PM

old thread

mcerd1 - 6/5/10 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Not a chance. Why would i want to put that much rusty old iron up front.
it doesn't have to be rusty

but seriously, if its mainly for road uses you shouldn't discount the duratec

Davegtst - 6/5/10 at 01:08 PM

I've thought long and hard about bec vs cec and i'm afraid i can't be swayed towards a cec.

PAUL FISHER - 6/5/10 at 01:16 PM

I think after the Esprit, you might be a bit disappointed with a BEC,I would go Honda S2000 engine.

franky - 6/5/10 at 01:29 PM

Why not save yourself a whole load of cash and get a zx10r motor off ebay? I wouldn't spend the extra £700(not sure why they're that much more!?) on a busa motor.

you can pick up good motors for about £1.2k.

Remember to add on a reverse box 2 prop shafts, power commander then think about going CEC

Davegtst - 6/5/10 at 01:36 PM

Just phone AB performance who were very helpfull and knowledgeable. Hopefully he's going to ring back later with a price on a zx12r kit. Stop with the cec jokes, it ain't happening!

eznfrank - 6/5/10 at 01:37 PM

I'd hold out for a ZX12, round about the same power as a Busa although not as many tuning parts seem to be available - still plenty to go at though.

cd.thomson - 6/5/10 at 01:40 PM

i heard becs were for girls?

boggle - 6/5/10 at 01:50 PM

how would you be dissapointed with a bec after driving an esprit???

two completely different vehicles.....and the lotus doesnt have a flappy paddlle thing

dean100yz - 6/5/10 at 05:39 PM

Its all about the BEC! My old blade does me proud! A mates runnin a bloody fast CEC (250brake) and that wont outrun me upto legal(ish) speeds. Maybe better 100+ but I dont get there to often.

Feels heavy up front too & gear changes take an age compared to BEC's

mcerd1 - 6/5/10 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
i heard becs were for girls?

I heard that too

Davegtst - have you ever had a go in a BEC ?
If not I'm sure one of the local guys would take you out for a spin to help you decide....

[Edited on 6/5/10 by mcerd1]

Paul TigerB6 - 6/5/10 at 06:15 PM

ZX12 or Busa - neither...............ZZR1400

FFTS - 6/5/10 at 08:02 PM

quote:
I've thought long and hard about bec vs cec and i'm afraid i can't be swayed towards a cec.

So which is best? BEC or CEC???

Hellfire - 6/5/10 at 08:02 PM

There isn't as much difference as you'd imagine between the ZX9R, ZX10R, ZX12R and ZZR1400.

Phil

franky - 6/5/10 at 09:20 PM

as above, a zx10r would be a good choice as there's plenty around and as plenty were raced its a well known motor.

I'd broaden your search areas too as away from the forum you can pick one up for about half what they get advertised at.

Good luck with the search!

PAUL FISHER - 6/5/10 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by boggle
how would you be dissapointed with a bec after driving an esprit???

two completely different vehicles.....and the lotus doesnt have a flappy paddlle thing

I am the biggest fan of bike engine cars,Ive had a injection fireblade one,and a 2007 zx10r,and zx10r turbo,and Ive driven other car engined and bike engined sevens over the years,but I think people get carried away with how quick they think they are,and can be disappointed after coming from fast road cars,its easy to impress people with the rapid accelleration up to 70/80mph of a bec with the noise and wind in your hair,but after that speed progress is not so rapid.
A S2000 engine seven will out accellerate any BEC over the 1/4 mile,and then go on to over 150mph.
Put a passenger in the BEC and the extra weight would make the difference even greater,put a passenger in the CEC and it would make no significant difference.
The main reason I think he might be disappointed, is that his old esprit would easily out accellerate any BEC from 80mph onwards up to its 165mph top speed,but if he had a seven with a powerfull 240bhp car engine fitted it would feel considerably quicker than his esprit up to and well beyond 80mph.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

progers - 7/5/10 at 08:06 AM

Where in this country can you experience the "better acceleration after 80mph" legally?

On the road, the BEC will give far more exhilarating experience (acceleration wise) than a powerful road car. On track it will be much quicker than the Esprit where braking, cornering speed and acceleration out of corners matters much more than outright speed down the straight.

Santa pod 1/4 mile sprints is the only place where you might find the BEC losing out to a more powerful CEC. A S2000 seven will be quicker in this type of scenario but on a track there will be very little in it due to the extra weight of the S2000 car, even though it has 40+ more HP.

I regularly do trackdays in my ZX12r car and blow away 400hp Nissan nutter barges and Porsche GT3s all day long.

So in summary, go BEC and enjoy

- Paul

sucksqueezebangblow - 7/5/10 at 10:15 AM

Don't assume the Busa will be too expensive, although they were £2500 last year I picked one up complete off eBay for £1120 earlier this year!

spiderman01980 - 7/5/10 at 04:58 PM

MK indy with zx12 and power commander!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9V6vwr9NhU&feature=PlayList&p=D72F5F276F6DCAC4&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=8

scootz - 7/5/10 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
It's easy to impress people with the rapid acceleration up to 70/80mph of a bec with the noise and wind in your hair,but after that speed progress is not so rapid.

What??? BEC's can go faster than 70/80mph???

scootz - 7/5/10 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I am the biggest fan of bike engine cars. I've had a injection Fireblade one and a 2007 zx10r and zx10r turbo and I've driven other car engined and bike engined sevens over the years, but I think people get carried away with how quick they think they are and can be disappointed. After coming from fast road cars its easy to impress people with the rapid accelleration up to 70/80mph of a bec with the noise and wind in your hair,but after that speed progress is not so rapid.

An S2000 engine seven will out accellerate any BEC over the 1/4 mile and then go on to over 150mph.
Put a passenger in the BEC and the extra weight would make the difference even greater. Put a passenger in the CEC and it would make no significant difference.
The main reason I think he might be disappointed, is that his old esprit would easily out accellerate any BEC from 80mph onwards up to its 165mph top speed,but if he had a seven with a powerful 240bhp car engine fitted it would feel considerably quicker than his esprit up to and well beyond 80mph.

I've owned both and I have to agree.

BEC's are only fun at full throttle... it just makes it soooo hard NOT to drive it like a tw*t. At least with a CEC you can go for a lazy weekend drive with your other half and not scare them half to death!

I also agree with the 'passenger-issue'... take an uninitiated passenger with you and they'll be scratching their head at all the fuss you've made!

Davegtst - 7/5/10 at 05:46 PM

Acceleration is what i am after. Not really bothered about top end speed at all, 130ish is plenty for me. This isn't about comparing it to the Esprit either, although they are nice cars and fairly quick they still weigh a fair bit compared to an MK bec. Spiderman that looks and sounds awesome! I remember watching some of those clips when i first started looking at kits, it was partly your video that made me want a bec.

adithorp - 7/5/10 at 08:23 PM

"...I also agree with the 'passenger-issue'... take an uninitiated passenger with you and they'll be scratching their head at all the fuss you've made!..."

I'm sure one of the people I gave a ride to at weekend, will be along soon to confirm how "slow" my car is when 2up... when they recover thier senses!

adrian

INDY BIRD - 7/5/10 at 09:01 PM

hi all bec are fun get any of the fore mentioned engines, when you get bored stick a turbo kit on and experience a completely new era of performance,

i have had a std bird a zx12 , zzr1100,
vauxhaul red tops, 190 bhp pinto, zetec 160bhp.

and nothing comes close to a bec turbo,

good luck with the purchase

dean100yz - 8/5/10 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
hi all bec are fun get any of the fore mentioned engines, when you get bored stick a turbo kit on and experience a completely new era of performance,

i have had a std bird a zx12 , zzr1100,
vauxhaul red tops, 190 bhp pinto, zetec 160bhp.

and nothing comes close to a bec turbo,

good luck with the purchase

Couldnt have said it better myself

Will know in a month

TimC - 8/5/10 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by progers
Where in this country can you experience the "better acceleration after 80mph" legally?

On the road, the BEC will give far more exhilarating experience (acceleration wise) than a powerful road car. On track it will be much quicker than the Esprit where braking, cornering speed and acceleration out of corners matters much more than outright speed down the straight.

Santa pod 1/4 mile sprints is the only place where you might find the BEC losing out to a more powerful CEC. A S2000 seven will be quicker in this type of scenario but on a track there will be very little in it due to the extra weight of the S2000 car, even though it has 40+ more HP.

I regularly do trackdays in my ZX12r car and blow away 400hp Nissan nutter barges and Porsche GT3s all day long.

So in summary, go BEC and enjoy

- Paul

I'm with you all the way but your car is hardly the best yardstick is it 'Mr Wayne?'

On track there's no contest. For road driving, the way things are these days (with progressive driving frowned upon by the authorities and society,) I'd run a X-flow and A539s and go for the classic feel - I appreciate that I'll be in the minority on this!

Peteff - 8/5/10 at 06:22 PM

Go for a V8 and bike engine. Moto Guzzi V8 .

progers - 9/5/10 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC

I'm with you all the way but your car is hardly the best yardstick is it 'Mr Wayne?'

True, but it was much the same when I had an R1 Indy :-) Its amazing how slow those old barges can be....

I can appreciate that some people might prefer CEC to BEC for a road car, in many respects they are a better compromise if most of your miles are by road . For out an out thrills and performance though, BEC just can't be beat (at least in the bang for your buck stakes)

Paul

[Edited on 9/5/10 by progers]

Davegtst - 10/5/10 at 08:26 AM

Think i'm going to hold out for the zx12r.