Board logo

BEC gear change bearings.
matt.c - 5/7/08 at 08:43 AM

My gear changer had a nylon bush fitted to it and i want to change it to bearings.
I went a bought some bearings for that size tube but the bearings dont fit tight.
Is there a way i can maybe squash the tube to make the bearings fit tightly?
Or at worse should i make a new changer? Where am i likly to find some of this tube on a sat?
[img][/img]

mookaloid - 5/7/08 at 09:01 AM

You could try some bearing fit - I think it might be a loctite product - this is supposed to fill the gap and sets hard securing the bearing in place - alternatively araldite steel from Halfords?

If it doesn't work you can always remake the changer.

Cheers

Mark

Mr Clive - 5/7/08 at 09:27 AM

Could you try some thin steel rolled almost into a tube to act as a shim?

simoto - 5/7/08 at 09:56 AM

Hard to know without seeing the actual fit and tolerance first hand but, some type of epoxy maybe?
Good luck with it.

charlierevell - 5/7/08 at 10:03 AM

'coke' can? Its what we used to use on crank tapers on bikes when they started to round off as its nice and thin!

You could make a shim up to fit the whole body then, using some bearing and stud lock to hold it all together.

Ricks-9r - 5/7/08 at 10:06 AM

what about grub screws to clamp the bearing in place 3 should do it

adithorp - 5/7/08 at 11:07 AM

Lock-tight bearing-fix should hold them. Sounds like you got the wrong size bearings for tube though?

afrian

Jon Ison - 5/7/08 at 11:13 AM

Go round the inside with a center pop then knock the bearing in using bearing fit as suggested above, for such a low stress area it will not move.

beppesignori - 5/7/08 at 11:22 AM

Ive used same bearings for my MK pedals...I just cut the nylon bush down to size to fit between the bearings so they cant move inwards when you tighten the bolt, and then went around the ouside and tapped it at 3 places to create a tight fit. Not ideal if this was a highly stressed bearing, but for this use, I cant see a big problem with it.