Board logo

Which car for Fuel Pump
mad4x4 - 30/1/05 at 11:52 AM

Can anyone tell me vehicles that would have an electric fuel pump instead of a mechnical one?

need about 4psi at 100+ liters per hour

The last time I looked a lot of cars have "intank" pumps - this is not suitable for my application

mandy69 - 30/1/05 at 12:24 PM

Landrover, Moggy or just buy a facet one

Jon Ison - 30/1/05 at 02:51 PM

if you can find a jag in a scrappy they have a nice one, infact two.

britishtrident - 30/1/05 at 04:01 PM

The original Rover 216s (SU carb) the old 80s 3 box type have a nice silent AC pump mounted underneath the car just ahead of the ns rear wheel.

DarrenW - 2/2/05 at 02:12 PM

VW golfs (mk1 and early mk2's) and Audi 80's have the bosch type underneath just in front of the o/s rear wheel. (Sometimes covered by a big noise dampaning tube thing).

omega 24 v6 - 2/2/05 at 05:29 PM

2 LTR carltons circa 91 had electric stand alone pumps at rear of axle.They also are in a big foam tubey noise dampener type thingymabob (yes this is the tech phrase for it)

[Edited on 2/2/05 by omega 24 v6]

tomm - 21/2/05 at 05:44 AM

what about the mini! remember the one in the boot! SU i think? cheap tooooo!!

Snuggs - 21/2/05 at 07:44 AM

Check this site for Facet pumps.

http://www.trackstore.co.uk/shop%20frame.html

[Edited on 21/2/05 by Snuggs]

Peteff - 21/2/05 at 10:04 AM

No, I always remember it being under the boot in the subframe, covered in SH!TE and corroded to F%c& with no chance of fixing it in the middle of winter 10 miles from home

NigeEss - 21/2/05 at 04:58 PM

Early V8 Range Rovers and V8 Land Rovers have a high capacity SU type low pressure elecky pump.

paulbeyer - 22/2/05 at 12:15 AM

BMW 3 series rubber tube covered Bosch jobbie same as VW Audi Kraut wagens. Cheap too.

Bart69 - 22/2/05 at 06:05 PM

My Sierra 2.0i gls had a pump strapped under the tank had to change it and got the same one from an Audi 80 i think.

hope that helps

tomm - 26/2/05 at 04:11 PM

peterf hey you are dead right it is undeer the floor on the mini and yes I remember it all covered in shite!! must be my age I'm forgetting all the little details, remember the new one was cheeep though!

paulf - 27/2/05 at 08:28 PM

I remember my MG being like that ,luckily it had wire wheels and a good clonk on the pump with the knock on mallet always got it going again .
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
No, I always remember it being under the boot in the subframe, covered in SH!TE and corroded to F%c& with no chance of fixing it in the middle of winter 10 miles from home

owelly - 13/5/05 at 09:55 PM

Are we talking lift/supply pumps or injection system pumps??
If you plop a high pressure pump from an injection car, to feed carbortooters, it will blow them to bits. Likewise , if you use a low pressure (ie Mini, Moggy, any carb car...) to squirt at a set of injectors, you'll not break many speed records.
And don't forget to check part numbers for injection system pumps. I recall fitting a Pierberg/Bosch type pump to my SD1 Vitesse and it would only tick over. The pump I fitted looked identical but it was from a Vauxhall Cauliflower SRi and one digit was wrong on the part number so the flow rate/pressure was wrong.
Just a thought or two.....

NS Dev - 15/5/05 at 09:11 AM

A couple of comments, several of the pumps mentioned here are injection ones so no good for your 4 psi requirement!

I would say the best source is a Facet, taken from a carburettored Range Rover. These actually use the same Facet pump that you can buy from a motorsport supplier, but at breakers yard prices. It's located under the floor on the passenger side (I think?) under the "step" in the floor that the seats are mounted on.