Board logo

The Problem with a Smug B'Stard Grin
wilkingj - 12/5/08 at 07:49 AM

Well... Having sorted the car to get to Stoneleigh (and back). I then set about fitting the replacement Fan Thermostat that I got from Revotec at Stoneleigh.

OK, easily fitted and connected up. While I was doing that I changed the rad water, flushed it out, and filled with fresh Antifreeze.

OK, so with the Smug B'Stard Grin fully in place, I setout for a quick blast. Over to a mates to return his laptop. Then onto to my sisters to deliver a birthday card. Now halfway to my sisters I was following this builders van, and I felt some water drops on my face (no windscreen) so I duly dropped 100 yards back (cursing the builders)... However, I can still fill the odd droplet (fine ones). Hmmm thats odd.. are they are STILL washing the screen??

Got to my sisters, a 1/2 mile later. Pulled up on the drive, hopped out and went round the back of their house.

1 coffee later, I was ready to leave. my Bro in law then moans about the water on his new block paving and the marks it will leave!.
I looked and thought I should investigate. Off with the bonnet and there is water all over the engine bay. OK so the Builders got instantly forgiven.

When I unclipped the tiewraps holding the wiring for the fan controller and the 1/2" feed pipe to the lower rad water pipe, I didnt get it back in exactly the same position. Hence when the fan started it rubbed on the 1/2" silicon hose. This eventually wore a hole with the resultant "windscreen washer event earlier"

So I cut the pipe short by 4" and re secured with the jubilee clip, filled with water and set off home.

Have used the car for the rest of the day without further problems.

The day might have started with a Smug B'Stard grin, but as they say... "Pride comes before a Fall"

Yep... I am certainly having some adventures with my car..

Billbro - 12/5/08 at 09:22 AM

I too had a similar problem. Went to the supermarket. Came out and there was about 15 people, 8 firemen,
2 policemen and a fire engine around my car. A kind member of the public called the fire service
and reported that my car was leaking fuel. They cleared the car park around my car
and hosed the tarmac. The top hose had come off the engine and dumped all the fluid on the ground.
I declined the firemen's offer to fill my radiator with their hose and drove off the short distance
to a friend's house and fixed it.
Another fun day out.

02GF74 - 12/5/08 at 09:43 AM

That is rather wasteful of emergency services time. when they could be rescuing fluffy kittens stuck in trees?

Could the person who reported it not check first to see if it was petrol by throwing a lighted match on it?

[Edited on 12/5/08 by 02GF74]

dhutch - 12/5/08 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Could the person who reported it not check first to see if it was petrol by trhowing a lighted match on it?

Well you would have thought that atleast someone would have put the nose to it wouldnt you!
- Fingar in pool, to nose, to mount. "Nope, thats coolent, tell them stay with the kittens"

Daniel

02GF74 - 12/5/08 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Could the person who reported it not check first to see if it was petrol by trhowing a lighted match on it?

Well you would have thought that atleast someone would have put the nose to it wouldnt you!
- Fingar in pool, to nose, to mount. "Nope, thats coolent, tell them stay with the kittens"

Daniel

You been on the Pimms again?? That sentence must hold the world record for the most grammatical errors and spelling mistakes!!