Board logo

Sump baffles
Richard Jenkins - 10/6/03 at 12:07 PM

Hi all,

I've bought a rolling chassis and hope to have it finished for next season.

I'm looking at the engine at the moment, and would like some advice on how best to baffle the sump to prevent oil pick-up problems.

Thanks

RJ

D Beddows - 10/6/03 at 07:08 PM

I wouldn't worry too much - Brett has always run with standard sump baffling and we've never had any problems with oil pressure. If you fit ARP conrod bolts (very good idea) you will have to modify the baffle thing in the shallow end of the sump otherwise the heads of the bolts will pick up on it. If you have money to burn (200ish quid) the Burtonpower baffled sump is as good as any, not sure it will gain you anything but it looks good

Cheers

Dave

Richard Jenkins - 17/6/03 at 11:27 AM

Now I've got my new chassis on order, back to the engine....

What are "ARP" conrod bolts and why is a good idea to fit? Presumably you can't buy them at your local Halfords?

Money to burn?? I wish!!

cheers
RJ

ned - 17/6/03 at 12:03 PM

Halfords, err nope.

ARP makes heavy duty bolts (amongst other things) for engine components eg conrod, flywheel etc etc. they are much stronger then standard ones and are usually recomended for racing/high revving engines.

Ned.

ajullie2 - 20/12/03 at 06:17 PM

Dave,
You had much damage on your sump? We took ours off the other day and it looks a little battered!

We're thinking of changing to shallower version just to be safe...if we can find a half decent second hand one that is.
Alex

DickieB - 29/12/03 at 11:58 AM

Alex
I tried a normal sump, then a modified shallow one, and finally went for a Burtons one. Never had oil surge problems again.

As for battered sumps - stop going over the curbs!

Dickie

ajullie2 - 6/1/04 at 09:22 PM

Dickie,
Did you have surge probs with std sump then? Ours has been fine - so far anyway...

Regarding kurbs, don't know what you're talking about your honour - honest guv!

Alex

DickieB - 7/1/04 at 07:24 PM

Al
Yes, I had problems with the standard sump. However I wanted a shallow one as I feared I might end up like you going over all the kerbs. As it happens I've avoided most of them (especially Pembrey) - must try harder.....
Dickie

ajullie2 - 8/1/04 at 12:56 PM

Cheeky boy!