Board logo

Classic kit car help
IanBrace - 5/6/09 at 08:36 AM

I'm trying to get an O & C Sport ( 1986) kit car back on the road and it's going to need some new ball joints. What are they??? I think the bottom ones may be mk1 Celica but not a clue about the tops... any ideas anyone? Has anyone got an original build manual or other info I could buy or copy??
Thanks...

nick205 - 5/6/09 at 08:40 AM

Any pics of the part your trying to source - people are usually pretty quick on here with a few pics to go by.

tegwin - 5/6/09 at 08:54 AM

Or, if you take the part off and take it to your local motor factors (NOT Halfords) they should have a catalogue with pictures in you can go through and ID the part

I spent week after week in my local factors with random pieces of the TVR!

IanBrace - 5/6/09 at 08:58 AM

I'll take photos and post em... tried the local factors but with little success as the books didn't go back far enough!

Mr Whippy - 5/6/09 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by IanBrace
I'll take photos and post em... tried the local factors but with little success as the books didn't go back far enough!

I can buy parts for vintage cars from the 1920's...you can always get parts if you know where to look. A photo of the offending bit is all we need.

IanBrace - 5/6/09 at 01:04 PM

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/top bj.jpg Rescued attachment top bj.jpg
Rescued attachment top bj.jpg

IanBrace - 5/6/09 at 01:09 PM

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/bottom bj.jpg

All suggestions welcome... within reason!

Ian Rescued attachment bottom bj.jpg
Rescued attachment bottom bj.jpg

MikeRJ - 5/6/09 at 01:49 PM

Looks like Vauxhall Viva (or Chevette maybe) top and bottom to me.

[Edited on 5/6/09 by MikeRJ]

nick205 - 7/6/09 at 10:48 AM

Don't recognise them, but they do look the same top and bottom. Have you looked at the Maxi ball joints shown here - they might be a suitable alternative.

IanBrace - 7/6/09 at 06:01 PM

No, they're totally different... the bottom one is circular and held in the bottom arm with a circlip the top one is a 2 bolt fixing..
Thanks anyway!
Bought a Maxi one on ebay so when it arrives I'll be able to rule at least one in or out!!!!
Thanks
Ian

paulf - 7/6/09 at 08:15 PM

I think I have a kitcar mag with a review in it but dont know where it is at present but will try and find it later in the week.
Paul.