Board logo

Axle mod (book dimensions)
planetester - 24/7/04 at 08:06 PM

This must have been asked before but I cant find the answer,
Page 72 shows a line passing thro the mounting bolt holes level with the diameter of the axle, it also shows the center of the axle level with the edge of the bracket & the trailing arm holes roughly in the center of the bracket,
pages 73 & 64 show the trailing arm holes forward of the diameter of the axle,

which is right

thanks in advance

Mark Allanson - 24/7/04 at 08:19 PM

There are no rights and wrongs in the book (sorry, correction - there are lots of wrongs). Put them where you like, but check your final axle position and the length of the trailing arms if you have them. I put mine behind! Rescued attachment LHR Suspension.jpg
Rescued attachment LHR Suspension.jpg

DavidM - 24/7/04 at 09:31 PM

I put mine behind too, as page 72.

Mark, may I ask where you got those brake pipe clips from?

planetester - 24/7/04 at 09:40 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply, Ive bought a Stuart Taylor chassis & arm set, his arms are 13" long, the book says 12" ??

Ive just made these, are they like yours

thanks Rescued attachment SSCN0194.JPG
Rescued attachment SSCN0194.JPG

Mark Allanson - 25/7/04 at 08:05 PM

Just about identical Rescued attachment Rear Axle Brackets.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear Axle Brackets.jpg

planetester - 25/7/04 at 08:33 PM

Thanks Mark, Its good to know that I dont have to remake them, All I need to do now is to see what differance the Stuart Taylor trailing arms will make at 13" long

thank again

Mark Allanson - 25/7/04 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DavidM
I put mine behind too, as page 72.

Mark, may I ask where you got those brake pipe clips from?

Fuel line clips from ford, brake pipe clips from peugeot, I said they wre for my car and free samples arrived next day! (it's nice having a 30K parts budget at my desposal) Rescued attachment Part Numbers.jpg
Rescued attachment Part Numbers.jpg

DavidM - 25/7/04 at 10:47 PM

Cheers Mark.

Peteff - 26/7/04 at 08:07 AM

The longer trailing arms will just mean you have to put another inch on the propshaft. I've made my new ones an inch longer to move the wheels back a bit in the rear wings. It shouldn't make a lot of difference to anything else unless it puts a bit of angle on the rear dampers.

planetester - 29/7/04 at 09:48 PM

spoke ti Ian Grey at ST & he says that the dims in the book are wrong & 13 is correct so I'll carry on building & see what happens