Board logo

Smallest Handbrake???
Avoneer - 28/3/05 at 07:11 PM

Hi,

What's the smallest handbrake I can use to mount on top of my tranny tunnel.

I'm only using one handbrake cable so no balance bar needed.

Cheers,

Pat...

James - 28/3/05 at 07:22 PM

Metro is pretty small.

HTH,
James

jack trolley - 28/3/05 at 07:25 PM

Latest thing on jags is a handbrake operated by a solenoid - no lever just a button.
Haven't seen one so no idea how big/heavy they are.

paulf - 28/3/05 at 08:11 PM

I used a Maestro hand brake , also quite small and single cable type.The downside is that it is quite hard to engage, due to the position and limited leverage.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by James
Metro is pretty small.

HTH,
James

givemethebighammer - 28/3/05 at 08:33 PM

I cut and shut a sierra one, It's now about 2 inches shorter than the original. Works OK, but you're right about using it, not the best place for a handbrake. I may move mine when I decide where to.

JohnN - 28/3/05 at 09:31 PM

I also shortened the sierra item, 2" approx shorter - an easy bit of work, just cut a 2" section from the tube and re-weld the end back on. Final result looks better too. The plastic handle even fits back over - without any mods.

ned - 28/3/05 at 09:43 PM

another metro user here...

MikeR - 29/3/05 at 07:48 AM

One up man ship....

MGF here!!

(same as a metro i believe)

Vet Will - 29/3/05 at 08:41 AM

This uses a metro handbrake

Will

Vet Will - 29/3/05 at 08:46 AM

Hopefully I will post the picture this time, its the first time Ive tried!

Metro based trike!
Metro based trike!

Will

Kissy - 29/3/05 at 09:24 AM

It's best to sit in the car and decide where you want the handbrake, and can you apply it easily? If you mount a handbrake lever in a Locost in the same orientation as a saloon car you'll find it difficult to apply. I used a Metro (or was it early fiesta?) lever rotated through 90 degrees, and then welded a couple of straps on the reposition the direction of pull. I used a bastardised Sierra 4x4 cable assy and a pulley to balance the effort. Rescued attachment handbrake lever posn.jpg
Rescued attachment handbrake lever posn.jpg

Avoneer - 29/3/05 at 11:52 AM

Hi Kissy,
Do you have any pics of how you have mounted it in the tunnel - that's the look I want.
Also, where did you get your seats and what chassis are they in?
Cheers,
Pat...

Nick Davison - 29/3/05 at 04:10 PM

I used a Mk2 Fiesta in a book chassis. Photos in the archive.

Nick

Marcus - 29/3/05 at 07:11 PM

May I suggest MR2 handbrake assy. Mounts to trans tunnel and lands in the right place.

Marcus

theconrodkid - 31/3/05 at 10:54 PM

ive been driving a new shape transit for 6 months now,only today did i look at the handbrake lever,under the mountain of food wrapers and mud is the smallest ,cutest handbrake lever i have ever seen

NS Dev - 1/4/05 at 07:27 AM

Is anybody else mounting their handbrake on the passenger side of the tunnel. I have tried reaching for it and it's no problem, and it keeps it out of the way, and very conveniently below the area that is radius checked!

The Stuart Taylor chassis that I have has the cables routed to here anyway!

ned - 1/4/05 at 08:19 AM

Surrey Dave has his car set this way NS Dev.

Ned.

Dave Bailey - 2/4/05 at 05:46 PM

Luego do a shortened Sierra handbrake for about £25.00. I have one and it looks o.k.