Board logo

Transit TRE shortcomings?
Rorty - 8/9/05 at 04:10 AM

I seem to remember a thread a while ago (can't find it) where at least two people said the taper stud on the Transit TRE was too short for the thickness of the upper eye of the Cortina upright, resulting in insufficient threads poking through.
I think they were either going to fit a half height Nyloc nut or grind/machine some metal off the under side of the eye to enable the nut to go on safely.
Is this a common problem? Is it just related to a particular year or model of Cortina? Or is it related to a particular manufacturer's TRE?

NS Dev - 8/9/05 at 07:00 AM

I think it's just 1 make of TRE. Certainly I had no probs with any of mine, but I have seen one that wouldn't reach, and it was a different make (couldn't say which make though!)

On my 7, by way of example, at the current "dummy" build stage, i have packed the TRE threads with 4 1mm washers which just stops the nylon engaging until I know it won't need to come apart again for a while!

Rorty - 8/9/05 at 07:11 AM

Perfect, thanks.

jonbeedle - 8/9/05 at 10:11 AM

I wondered about that. I had to turn my nylocs to make half nuts.
Cheers
Jon

Rorty - 8/9/05 at 12:53 PM

This is exactly the reason we should have a data base; so people can list what works and what doesn't and in this case, which brand of TRE is too short and which one fits the Cortina upright.

Gav - 8/9/05 at 01:44 PM

Interesting idea Rorty,

If you wanna come up with the basic info that needs to be kept ill looking to writing it out with php/mysql.

Rorty - 8/9/05 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gav
Interesting idea Rorty,

If you wanna come up with the basic info that needs to be kept ill looking to writing it out with php/mysql.

I'm not the first to suggest a database; it's been brought up on several previous occasions. Someone suggested a wiki. I'm not familiar with what's required with setting it up or hosting it, but it's plainly obvious someone needs to set up some form of knowledge base here.
Perhaps ChrisW has plans for it as part of the new look site.

bob - 8/9/05 at 09:33 PM

A database would be a brilliant idea,the search system we already have but its very painfull having to drag through threads it throws up for you.

Maybe we should lobby chris to incorporate a database in the new site as rorty has mentioned.

Gav - 8/9/05 at 10:09 PM

As an interim measure im happy to set up a wiki on my server and pass on the DB if chris decides to incorperate it into the new site

Rorty - 8/9/05 at 10:21 PM

I would suggest dropping him a line or whatever and offer your services. The more people that put pressure on ChrisW to come up with a data base the more chance there'll be of succeeding.
It's sorely needed here; it's the one lacking element that would make this site a truly formidable resource.

bob - 18/9/05 at 01:10 PM

I've been having a look into this transit trak rod end and may have found the problem,the book does say TRE but most have found the transit drag link to be prefered.

Here is a picture of both and you can see the difference in the length of thread,the drag link having the longer. Rescued attachment top ball joints.jpg
Rescued attachment top ball joints.jpg

Rorty - 18/9/05 at 01:36 PM

There's more to it than that; the TRE is M20 x 1.5 and the DLE is M18 x 1.5, though they share the same taper.
Looking at the photo above, although the tapers are the same, the TRE is stubbier than the DLE. Is this the reason some people have had trouble getting the nut fully on the taper stud? Do some people/kit manufacturers use the TRE instead of the DLE?

bob - 18/9/05 at 02:15 PM

Basically i believe this has been pointed out as an error in the book elswhere,when i was searching for parts even my local factor said most people use the drag link and wondered why i was asking for the TRE.

I havnt got any pictures of the lada track rod end which i have also heard people have used,i've heard the lada TRE has the M18/1.5mm thread but on a longer shaft so this would be more suitable to the slide adjuster system people have used.I'm not sure of the taper or length of the thread either,but as you have said bob a database would be a good idea and clear up this area of people build.

quattromike - 18/9/05 at 05:55 PM

Funnie you mention it but when I was making my A arms I was under the impresion that I needed a M18 x 1.5 tap and I went out and bought one but when it came too it it was M20 and I already had one of those so now I'm happy I have the right parts .
Cheers for that

Mike

MikeRJ - 18/9/05 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by quattromike
Funnie you mention it but when I was making my A arms I was under the impresion that I needed a M18 x 1.5 tap and I went out and bought one but when it came too it it was M20 and I already had one of those so now I'm happy I have the right parts .
Cheers for that

Mike

M18x1.5 is the correct size for the drag link end which is what the majority of people use. The book specifies the M18 thread size but incorrectly refers to the ball joint required as a track rod end. If the track rod end fits in your wishbones ok, and there is enough thread on the tapered part then you should have no problems however.