Board logo

Wilwood Powerlite Calipers
StevieB - 10/10/06 at 11:05 AM

Hi all.

I'm going to use Powerlite calipers on my Indy, front and rear. Does anyone know where I can get the mounting brackets (at a reasonable cost)?

I've tried MNR, but they can't help me. I know that the brackets come when you buy the full kit, but I already have the calipers, so just need the mountings for them

zxrlocost - 10/10/06 at 11:15 AM

personally a waste of money and overkill unless you are really after every ounce of performance

standard xr4x4 vented grooved discs all round and real happy shopper pads
my brakes were so good it was unbelievable

in a 460kg car you dont need anymore

Sierra Master cylinder two to front one to back will also pass SVA without Bias BAr etc

if you do fit them do it after SVA

I wouldnt like to set up a Bias Bar on performance brakes before SVA

If they dont need a bias bar like some do then I apologise

chris

also I wouldnt have performance pads in for the SVA they dont get hot enough quicky

StevieB - 10/10/06 at 11:26 AM

I'm just fitting the Powerlite calipers - I've kept the sierra M/C as it should work quite well with the Powerlites anyway (apparently designed do work together, I've read somewhere). And I'll also be using the standard Wilwood pads - anything extra is overkill and expensive.

The sierra calipers are far too big and heavy for a car that'll weight under 500kg, and I'd rather pay the extra for the Wilwoods than pay for recon'd sierra units.

Plus i'll be able to fit 13" wheels as well, which is better for handling (and looks).

Bob C - 10/10/06 at 11:28 AM

I think the point of the wilwoods isn't that they stop you any better - it's that they weigh so much less than the cast iron ones. In a light car the unsprung weight is proportionately more important.
Bob

StevieB - 10/10/06 at 11:43 AM

Just spoken to Rally Design, who make mounting brackets to suit their own disc kit, which aren't standard sized sierra discs (and I don't need bigger discs on the front).

Apparently the mounts are easy to machine, as long as you have the right kit to do it with. I bet my black and decker drill just won't do!

zxrlocost - 10/10/06 at 11:48 AM

Ok but just remember about the SVA and performance brakes etc

ie if your front brakes start being to good and your rears dont or vica versa

etc etc

I had problems with mine then I reverted back to OEM parts and ive never had brakes so good

Hellfire - 10/10/06 at 11:54 AM

You really do notice a difference with lighter brakes fitted up front. We shed 7kg a side when we put Hi Spec calipers on with solid discs and it transformed the turn in. I think the rears are a waste of money though, unless you really need them to fit your specific wheel size, because the Sierra rears are not particularly heavy.

Phil

StevieB - 10/10/06 at 12:01 PM

Apart from needing the smaller rear calipers to fit 13" wheels on, it's a cost thing - rear sierra calipers are quite expensive as recon'd units, and a bit more stretchibng of the budget can get a set of wilwoods on there, which are just nicer, aren't they!

zxrlocost - 10/10/06 at 12:14 PM

well you best get rid of these 13" and get some 15" team dynamic black pro race

so we can see theses bad boys

StevieB - 10/10/06 at 12:15 PM

It's not about seeing the gucci bits, it's just about knowing that they're there!

You'll be able to see them begind my 13" Compomotive CXR's anyway!

COREdevelopments - 10/10/06 at 04:21 PM

im after a set of team dynamics pro race 15s. any body got any?? sorry to inturupt the thread.

thanks
rob

StevieB - 10/10/06 at 06:36 PM

Try www.topgear.co.uk usually got some reasonable deals

[Edited on 10/10/06 by StevieB]

Jonas - 20/10/06 at 06:36 AM

Did you find a source for the brackets?

/Jonas

StevieB - 20/10/06 at 07:39 PM

Not yet - what I have found is that the kit supplied by Rally design as a full replacement kit uses different discs.

I was hoping to use the standard sierra discs as they're cheap and more than enough for stopping a se7en.

Plus, I don't want to pay a fortune since I already have the discs and could do with the saving.

Gav - 21/10/06 at 11:17 AM

Looking at my willwood setup on the front(have them on the rear too) Here
I think you might struggle to make a braket that fits, i suppose you might be able to mill something with a recess so that middle bit of the caliper fitsinto it , i suppose it would also be a good idea to make it deeper in lou of removing some material from the middal, you could do away with the outer spacers for the bolts, what size are the seirra disks 230mm?
im not at home at the moment but i could measure the willwood disks and see how much you need to bring the caliper further in.

[Edited on 21/10/06 by Gav]