Board logo

Prop to Diff bolts
Billbro - 8/2/07 at 09:42 AM

Anyone know where I can get 4 Metric Fine M10x1x70mm bolts or socket heads.
I want to put a spacer between the prop and the diff.

flak monkey - 8/2/07 at 09:46 AM

A local engineering fasteners place should be able to source what you need. Expect them to be £1-2 each though.

I had to do something similar on my car.

Cheers,
David

westcost1 - 8/2/07 at 10:00 AM

Is it ok /good practice to use a spacer in between prop and diff? I was thinking about doing this as my prop shaft could do with being ½” to ¾” longer. I thought mr sva would not like it so was thinking I would have to have it lengthened and re balanced. More £££

flak monkey - 8/2/07 at 10:03 AM

Theres no reason why not. But then i turned up an aluminium spacer on the lathe, so its all concentric and balanced and is a good fit on the central locating spigots. Probably not a good idea to hotchpotch one together out of scraps from the garage.

My spacer is 30mm thick... granted the prop would be fine without it, but i would rather have a bit more of the splines engaged in the gearbox.

David

[Edited on 8/2/07 by flak monkey]

Billbro - 8/2/07 at 10:11 AM

Westcost1. I need 35mm extra length in the prop.
The gearshift, when moved back with the standard westfield type remote was hitting the front knuckle joint.
I have been using it for the past year with the remote crank fitted upside down causing first to be where third should be ect.
Pain in the butt. Keep forgeting in times of panic.
The prop company wants £55 to extend it.
I got a spacer made on a lathe and it fits tightly on the prop and into the diff flange.
Can't see why it would not work BUT if anyone can tell me different , I'm listening.
Bill.

BenB - 8/2/07 at 10:31 AM

88p each from Namrick.co.uk (8.8)- they don't appear to do the M10s in fine in a higher grade...

Billbro - 8/2/07 at 10:43 AM

BenB
Thks. Bought them. They will be here tomorrow.
Bill.

westcost1 - 8/2/07 at 10:56 AM

“Westcost1. I need 35mm extra length in the prop.
The gearshift, when moved back with the standard westfield type remote was hitting the front knuckle joint.”

Snap that is the problem I have. And also would like a bit more of the splined shaft in the gear box for safety as flak monkey says ok ill have to get one of my mates to tern something up for me at his work. Didn’t really want to get the prop chopped up as I bought it new.
attached is a pic Rescued attachment prop small.jpg
Rescued attachment prop small.jpg

westcost1 - 8/2/07 at 11:13 AM

how much gap is needed for movement of the back axle? what kind of gap have you chaps got between gear box and prop knuckle?

Billbro - 8/2/07 at 02:02 PM

Westcost1. Sorry about the delay, had to visit Morrisons.
Your prop's shiney bit looks about the same length that mine was showing.
I found that it goes all the way into the box (including 5mm of collar). I left 10mm + the collar showing.
The europrop man guesed that amount would allow for the back axle's movement. My seven doesen't move that much anyway. I have about 8000 miles on the previous set up without any problems other than trying to take off in third or finding reverse instead of fifth.
Do you want a picture?
rgs Bill.

westcost1 - 8/2/07 at 02:54 PM

yes please Bill a pic would be nice
thanks Nick

[Edited on 8/2/07 by westcost1]

Billbro - 8/2/07 at 03:08 PM

This one is heavy, I would have prefered it made from alloy but since it was free.

Billbro - 8/2/07 at 03:14 PM

How do you show a picture? It's in my photo archive.

MikeRJ - 8/2/07 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Billbro
How do you show a picture? It's in my photo archive.

View the picture from your archive and right click on the picture.

For Internet Explorer, select properties and then copy the Address(URL) field in the properties dialog.

For Firefox just select "Copy Image Location"

Create a new post, and click the image button (yellow picture on button) and paste the URL you have just copied into the popup.

[Edited on 8/2/07 by MikeRJ]

westcost1 - 8/2/07 at 03:53 PM

Thanks looks good maybe ill get an ally one made up. I was just thinking that the original sierra prop had a big fly wheel thing on it so maybe the extra weight would be good?