Board logo

camber castor kpi
ever88 - 20/7/07 at 09:50 PM

hi

I would really like to hear other people advice on this if they have the time.

I understand that the cortina has 4.4 degrees of KPI which is a little low and have searched through threads about what castor to run etc but my project involves lifting an old ford shell over top of locost chassis and using a engine up front which is perhaps 25% heavier than a zeetec.

my question is what castor and camber would you set the wishbones to seen as the KPI part is fixed. a drawing of wishbone position here if have one would be great.

sincere thanks to those who input

blakep82 - 20/7/07 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ever88
my project involves lifting an old ford shell over top of locost chassis and using a engine up front which is perhaps 25% heavier than a zeetec.

intruiging! what shell are you going to use?

nitram38 - 21/7/07 at 08:00 AM

It is not the kpi that is too low, it is your wheel offset that is probably wrong.
If you draw a line through kpi it should intersect a point on the ground as close to the centre of your tyre.
kpi is primarilary there to reduce tyre scrub. It also tips the wheel into a turn but this is a secondary benefit.
If your kpi is wrong, when you make tight turns, you literally drag the outside wheel instead of having it roll.