Board logo

Wheel Nuts
greggors84 - 16/12/03 at 12:53 PM

Just a quick Q for a mate, is it ok to use the nuts used on the standard steels, on alloys. Not sure what the nuts are like, he was a bit vague.

Thanks

GO - 16/12/03 at 01:27 PM

I'd say generally not - alloy nuts should be made of the same stuff as the wheel.

Could be wrong though. I'd get the right ones if poss.

David Jenkins - 16/12/03 at 01:32 PM

Alloy wheels MAY have a different-shaped recess than steel wheels - you will have to check the wheels. Also, nuts for alloys often have a sleeve in which the threaded bit turns (e.g. Ford Ghia nuts).

David

[Edited on 16/12/03 by David Jenkins]

SeaBass - 16/12/03 at 01:36 PM

Grayston Engineering seem to supply most aftermarket nuts and also spacers. I got mine locally after enquiring about suppliers... Also lots of variations I need open nuts...

Grayston Engineering

Cheers

Ben_Copeland - 16/12/03 at 03:33 PM

If it's ford... then no. Vauxhall yes, thats as far i as can say lol

BUT can also depend on the Alloys too

RoadkillUK - 16/12/03 at 07:44 PM

I have the old Capri Lasers on my car/chassis. I found that the original wheel nuts from the steel wheels just went through the holes on the Alloys.

There's a pic of some shiney alloy nuts in my photo archive.

HTH

DaveFJ - 17/12/03 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GO
alloy nuts should be made of the same stuff as the wheel.

Allloy nuts - hmmm they'd be nice and strong then !

GO - 17/12/03 at 10:17 AM

I'm sure on the various alloys I've had in the past they've all had non-steel nuts anyway, just beefier than your average steel wheel nut. Could be imagining it mind you.

Fast Westie - 17/12/03 at 10:29 AM

quote:

Allloy nuts - hmmm they'd be nice and strong then !

Triumph Stags used alloy wheel nuts as standard

Mark Allanson - 17/12/03 at 08:47 PM

Porsche 924's use alloy nuts - they need replacing about every third removal!

Sierra Ghia wheel nuts are about the cheapest you can get, just the petrol to the scrappy and deep overall pockets

geoff shep - 18/12/03 at 07:54 PM

Generally not, as the hard nut will mash up the alloy of the wheel. I just replaced steel with alloy and got a set of ghia wheel nuts - they're the ones with the sleeve like washer. With or without the sleeve, the mating end of the nut needs to be the same angle as the hole in the wheel.

These are the sort of things I got:
http://www.raldes.co.uk/2003/page060.htm