Board logo

Exhaust Expanders
scutter - 11/7/07 at 08:26 PM

I need to fit a new silencer to the car but the can section needs to be expanded by about 2.5mm.

Is this within the capibilties of an exhaust expander?

ATB dan.

smart51 - 11/7/07 at 09:13 PM

I bought an exhaust espander to expand 50mm OD perforated pipe to 50mm ID. The thing was too hard to tighten despite me greasing the sliders. I snapped one of the bars in the end.

Find a place who can roll the tube for you to expand it.

russbost - 11/7/07 at 09:17 PM

I would say probably just about, depends on the thickness/maleability of the material. We used to find you could take equal sized tube & expand one piece to fit over the other, allowing for about 1.2/1.3mm wall thickness this is almost bang on the 2.5mm you want.HTH

britishtrident - 11/7/07 at 09:18 PM

They are only designed for cleaning up the over laps replacement pipe joints, not for forming new joints.

You will need to sleeve the joint.

Gunner1 - 12/7/07 at 04:17 AM

I have never got one to properly expand a pipe, they break or simply do not work. What has worked for me is to take the piece down to a muffler shop and ask them to expand the pice for me - usually takes about 30 seconds on their machine and no charge.

Mark Allanson - 12/7/07 at 10:30 AM

I have used one of these with an air rattle gun, I think it is similar to what the manufacturers use. Very good but very expensive Rescued attachment Exhaust expander.jpg
Rescued attachment Exhaust expander.jpg