Board logo

Paint, cellulose, 1k acrylic or water based?
smart51 - 16/2/09 at 09:07 AM

despite the knob at the shop telling me I needed 50kg of cellulose, I've looked a bit deeper at Jawel Paints and found they sell the same stuff cheaper on eBay. They also have more stuff for sale on eBay than their own website. I still don't know what paint to use.

Cellulose

£35.70 per litre in the shop, £60.00 for 2.5l on ebay plus £18.00 or £14.00 for antibloom thinners. They won't mix in the metalic car colour that I want

1k polyester "basecoat"

£49.48 per litre in the shop or £37.00 on eBay. £8.60 for a litre of thinners. A bit more expensive but better stuff? The shop guy said you HAVE to clear coat within 15 min, you can't sand it then clear coat. Is this true? What primer do I use with this?

Water Based Paint

£24.00 for half a litre (18 on ebay) or £45.63 for a litre. Thin with distilled water up to 5%. Is there any real benefit to this stuff? What primer do I use with it?

Mr Whippy - 16/2/09 at 09:11 AM

to me the choice is rather obvious tbh

you will require 1 ltr of colour coat for the scooter.

Where are you spraying btw is it covered and heated?

[Edited on 16/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

smart51 - 16/2/09 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
to me the choice is rather obvious tbh

you will require 1 ltr of colour coat for the scooter.

Where are you spraying btw is it covered and heated?

[Edited on 16/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

What is obvious to you is not to me. I haven't a clue.

I need to cover 13 m2 to paint the car inside and out. Their cellulose data sheet suggests about 9m2 from 1 litre. It doesn't say whether this is one litre when thinned or one litre plus a litre of thinners.

I'll be lining the garage (separate to the house) with plastic sheets to keep out dust. It is not heated but by the time I've finished the GRP and sanded the filler, it will have warmed up.

g.gilo - 16/2/09 at 09:25 AM

hi
if your not used to painting ,pick cellelose it is much more forgiving and can be flatted and or polished and recoated easier than anythink else. avoid 2 k if you dont have the correct air mask etc.
you dont need it to warm but it wants to be dry in your paint shop!
graham

britishtrident - 16/2/09 at 11:53 AM

2k is the dogs danglers to use but it can kill you.either sooner or later unless you have the right gear. Also the overspray is very sticky and carries a very very long distance

Water based are difficult for amateur to use and require perfect conditions --- warn clean air drying

1k paint is fine trouble it its to last really needs protected by 2K lacquer

Cellulose demands very good surface preperation can be slightly tricky to use but is easier to fix problems like runs and orange peel once the paint is dry.
To spray cellulose you must have very dry conditions or you will get bloom which demands rubbling down and another coat of paint to fix.

Generally HVLP spraying uses half the paint or less depending on what you are spraying of conventional spraying. because it allows much thinner coats and produces only about 1/4 as much over-spray and paint bounce off.

[Edited on 16/2/09 by britishtrident]

Maradona - 16/2/09 at 12:20 PM

At these time Im painting my locost with poliuretane PPG, you need to clean perfectly the surface, and have too much cerefull with the dust, the f##xx$%% dust !!!!!!!!! I heate the dust !!!!
Be patience, take a deep breath (with the mask).... count 1, 2 3.. do some yoga, to have patience, to avoid throw the paint gun tru the window !!!

[Edited on 16/2/09 by Maradona]

[Edited on 16/2/09 by Maradona]

Mr Whippy - 16/2/09 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Maradona
At these time Im painting my locost with poliuretane PPG, you need to clean perfectly the surface, and have too much cerefull with the dust, the f##xx$%% dust !!!!!!!!! I heate the dust !!!!
Be patience, take a deep breath (with the mask).... count 1, 2 3.. do some yoga, to have patience, to avoid throw the paint gun tru the window !!!

Use a vacuum cleaner on the floor rather than sweeping with a brush then tape some plastic sheet to the garage walls and ceiling. You should also dampen the floor before spraying.

That should solve the dust issue and let you heat up the garage very hot to cure the paint afterwards with and electric convection heater (no fan)

minitici - 16/2/09 at 01:27 PM

I have used Jawel paints, excellent service.
The 1K Acrylic took ages to harden - I wrapped a painted piece after several days and when I unwrapped it it had bubble wrap texture
Water based you need good temperatures and low RH for best results.
Cellulose can bloom in cold damp weather - but can polish up.
Dare I say 2K paint is my preferred method.

flibble - 16/2/09 at 04:05 PM

I used 5ltr of Cellulose to give my old Dutton a quick paintjob, came out pretty well for a first attempt, didnt have a drop of paint left over at the end though...
Got it from the Ebay for about £80 (5 Ltrs Cellulkose, 5 Ltrs Primer, 5 Ltrs thinners and a free mask)
Not sure if this is the same shop you were already looking at?
Have a dig in the special offers section, you might find a similar deal on the colours you want..

Linky